Alumalite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AR Jacobs

I see so many diff. epozy and resins out there. Which is preferred for making pen blanks and where to buy.

Thanks in advance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Although I am only recently getting started with pouring blanks, I started with Alumilite Clear Slow (Urethane resin) and I bought it (and my pressure pot, pigments, dyes, and other stuff) from Exotic Blanks. I chose Alumilite Clear Slow because it has a long enough working time (12 minutes) that I don't need to be in a panic to pour it after I start mixing. It takes me about 5 minutes to mix part A and part B together which leaves about 6 or 7 minutes to get it divided into cups and to stir in the pigments and dyes before I absolutely need to start getting it in the mold.

Alumilite Clear (Urethane) has a 7 minute working time.
Alumilite White (Urethane) only has a 3 minute working time.

Liquid Diamonds (Epoxy Resin) has a very long open time (30-45 minutes).
Alumilite Amazing Clear Cast (Epoxy) about 30 minutes
Alumilite Amazing Deep Pour (Epoxy) about 60 minutes

PTownSubbie has a good video about the different kinds of resins: Differences in Casting Products.

I have been having a lot of fun since I started casting (only about a month ago).

Regards,
Dave

Hippie3180

I see so many diff. epozy and resins out there. Which is preferred for making pen blanks and where to buy.

Thanks in advance
I also think that Alumilite is a very nice turn, very beginner friendly, where as some blanks like polyester, kyrinite etc are a bit more challenging to turn. Some say they are unable to get a nice polish on Alumilite, but I have not experienced that. In my opinion Alumilite is overall a very nice option. You can buy it all over the internet, probably the Clear Slow is the most popular for its adequate working time. I recently purchased some and will be experimenting soon.

JohnU

It really all depends on what you plan to cast as to what resin to use. If you mix with a drill you will maximize your working time. I can stir 600 grams in less than a min. Don't be concerned with making bubbles when mixing because you should be putting it in a pressure pot to cure anyway. I like urethane resins like Alumilite Clear for labels, color casts and hybrids. Silmar 41 polyresin is good for certain things like snakeskins if you dont mind the smell. Epoxy will stick to everything but can be hard to demold and hard on your mold life. It's also a softer resin and will stay flexible for a week as it cures. They all have their pros and cons. I use mostly Silmar 41, alumilite Clear and White. Personally I like the 2-3 minute working time with a 10 min demold. I can get a lot done quickly. Just buy it from a reputable dealer like the manufacturer or vendors here. If you buy from a hobby store you never know how long it sat on the shelf and how fresh it is. It's probably a good idea for you to start with alumilite Clear Slow. It has about a 12 min working time and will be good until you get your process ironed out. Also, Get a digital thermometer. resin temperature is the most important for knowing when to pour. The stated working time on the container is just an estimate. Room temp and storage can alter the working time. Good luck!

Top Bottom