alumalite mold release

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogrunner

anybody have any home brew ideas I forgot to order the release im going to use pvc to cast in thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Hrm .... I heard that a lot of people just use PVC for their molds and don't bother with any kind of release agent .... most acrylics just don't stick to PVC.

Sylvanite

Do you mean you're planning to use PVC pipe for a mold? If so, it's my experience that nothing short of cutting and splaying the tube will cause Alumilite to release from a rigid cylindrical mold. Alumilite does not shrink when curing like polyester resin does, so the mold must be flexible (e.g. rubber), tapered, or open up to remove the casting.

I hope that helps,
Eric

J Michael

So far I have only used PVC for bottle stopper blanks but I assume the same properties/principles are at work in smaller diameter PVC. I'll find out when it cools down to under 100 in the shop.

For a dry "release" you can use corn starch, talc or baby powder. My problem with these is that I had a problem getting little particles of it in my resin (out, out d*&m spots!) I'm guessing that problem came from me pouring down the side to minimize the number of air bubbles introduced during the pour. And, although you can knock the blank out without too much trouble you still have to knock it out with a dowel rod and hammer.

Any of the non-stick cooking sprays should work something like the mold release sprays, I assume they are all working on the same principles, and there is always petroleum jelly (ie, Vaseline). Mineral or cooking oils may work but I haven't tried those.

Humm .... just had a thought - silicone spray. Anybody ever try that?

Last edited:

Skie_M

I wouldn't use anything as a mold release unless I were comfortable with the idea of putting it in my MOUTH ....

How often do you see people grab a pen or pencil with their lips so that they can have both hands free for a moment?

Using something that could be poisonous for your mold release is just a bad idea ... what if it gets liberally spread throughout the resin?

Some kind of cheap cooking spray, or a thin solution of Vaseline + mineral oil (2 tablespoons of Vasaline mixed with 4 oz mineral oil - shake vigorously) should do the trick nicely and cheaply, without potentially lethal law entanglements to ensue.

PSNCO

I wouldn't use anything as a mold release unless I were comfortable with the idea of putting it in my MOUTH ....

How often do you see people grab a pen or pencil with their lips so that they can have both hands free for a moment?

Using something that could be poisonous for your mold release is just a bad idea ... what if it gets liberally spread throughout the resin?

Because resin is tasty and safe? Because plastic polish is tasty and safe? Because CA glue is tasty and safe? Because the table the pen was laying on or a co-worker's hands were germ-free and safe?

Call me harsh, but I can sleep at night just fine if someone gets sick from sticking a pen in their mouth

Skie_M

Because resin is tasty and safe? Because plastic polish is tasty and safe? Because CA glue is tasty and safe? Because the table the pen was laying on or a co-worker's hands were germ-free and safe?

Call me harsh, but I can sleep at night just fine if someone gets sick from sticking a pen in their mouth

Not that the ink is very safe to begin with .... :)

Most resins, when fully cured, are generally non-toxic, as far as I know. If not, they'd say so right on the containers.

Most plastic polishes, when you're done with your polishing, should be pretty much gone from the material long before the customer gets it. If they polish it up and then stick it in their mouth, that's their business.

Cured cyanoacrylate is hypoallergenic, if I'm not mistaken. In fact, in first aid, you can use superglue to close small wounds and cuts in order to stop the bleeding. It's that safe. :bulgy-eyes:

I have no need to spend time worrying about other people's hands ... I'm too busy washing my own whenever I need to, and going about what I need to do.

I don't plan to lose any sleep over it, as I don't plan to go out of my way to endanger the health and safety of my customers. What they do with it after it leaves my hands is entirely up to them, I still plan to give them something that they could put in their mouth (or their kid could pick up and teeth on) without causing heart attacks for fear of poisoning. If you don't think that this is at least the smart way to go about it, then that's just your own opinion. :)

Top Bottom