Alternatives to the center band on 7mm kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pete275

The other day there was a post on alternatives to the center bands on 7mm slimline kits. Although I have searched extensively, I can't for the life of me find it again. There were many interesting suggestions and some links to tutorials. If anyone knows what I'm talking about please provide some direction. I would love to re-read it all.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Last edited:

gr8danish

Not sure about the previous thread, however, I have my own little technique...

I bought a bag of the 10" long 7mm tubes from PSI. I cut a section of the tubing for the clip portion of the pen 3/8-1/2" longer than the tube that is supplied with the kit. Then I'll glue a strip of a contrasting colored material to the end of my blank before I drill it. This makes a flush ring of the alternate material on the end of my blank. The tube goes all the way through the upper blank, so that the "ring" doesn't have gaps, or spin, or anything goofy like that.

Pete275

Thanks for the responses and the inspiration. I should stay busy with these for a while. This is what makes this asuch a great site! Thanks again.
Wayne

Willee

The other day there was a post on alternatives to the center bands on 7mm slimline kits. Although I have searched extensively, I can't for the life of me find it again. There were many interesting suggestions and some links to tutorials. If anyone knows what I'm talking about please provide some direction. I would love to re-read it all.

Search for posts made by me ... Willee ... I have also posted a lot of photos of 7mm pens with custom center bands.
Just posted a photo of 7 of them.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Take a look at the pages listed at the bottom of this message. The center-bands can be made different shapes and larger than shown in the instructions.

Last edited:

Drstrangefart

I like to delete the center band by basically not using the center bushing on my slimlines. I just separate them before I CA finish, and seal the ends with CA before final assembly. It works like a charm. Here is one example I like quite a bit:
attachment.php

Lenny

As Butch said visit Don Ward and Russ Fairfield sites. Lots and lots of good information there.
My favorite thing to do with the centerband on a slimline is "throw it away"!
Just make the lower blank longer and keep the tube flush with the nib end. Their sites will tell you several ways to do it. :)

Top Bottom