Alternative to On Line Metals?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I have purchased metal supplies from On Line Metals in the past, and am now in need of more metal. The shipping fees at OLM are at amazingly high, rip-off levels (my 10 pound order would be charged about $300 to ship via cheapest option to Hawaii). Even shipping to a specialty Hawaii forwarder would net out to about $85 total shipping costs.

I am looking for an alternative supplier that has provided satisfactory service. Any suggestions? (I realize I can go to Ebay &/or Amazon looking for item-by-item purchases, but I wanted to see if anyone had other favorable suggestions for a multi-product online metals supply. BTW, I am shopping for nickel-silver rods for turning accent rings and finials, and flat (sheet) stock for fabricating clips. Also some brass rod and tube stock for internal (unseen) pen parts.

Thanks very much!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Steve,
I was looking at Enco before their recent change so not sure if they will be offering any shipping deals or not. Their website though :mad:

You may want to play around with online metals, I just ordered from them a few weeks ago, I did an online chat with them trying to get a discount code and as I was on the chat on the checkout screen offers kept popping up on the bottom of the screen. I noticed they kept getting a little better and then a code for $0 or $50 off shipping popped up and my shipping was going to be just under $40 so free shipping for me. May be worth a shot.

stonepecker

Another thought........

Locally here, we have a 'scrap yard' takes in metals and plastic for recycle.
They also have a place next door that sells materials.

I just wonder if you might have something like that close by?

KenV

Steve

Nickel silver is so called German silver. Small quantities are available through knife and muzzleloading supply outlets. Also check out Rio Grande Supply as German silver is used in some jewelry.

SteveG

I started my thread with:

I have purchased metal supplies from On Line Metals in the past, and am now in need of more metal. The shipping fees at OLM are at amazingly high, rip-off levels (my 10 pound order would be charged about $300 to ship via cheapest option to Hawaii). Even shipping to a specialty Hawaii forwarder would net out to about $85 total shipping costs.

I want to correct my stated shipping cost: the total order was about $300, the shipping portion $200. Now that is less than my initial statement, but still crazy expensive. I am seeking alternatives, and appreciate all suggestions coming in. Thanks

Top Bottom