Alternative to Euro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

What is a good quality twist pen that I could use to take the place of the Euro? I quit making Euros because the tenon was just too much of a PITA. I'd like something that uses Parker refills, doesn't require a tenon, and doesn't cost a fortune. What's your favorite?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rstought

Passed Away Nov 11, 2016
In Memoriam
FWIW, in my experience with the pen suggested in the previous post, I have noted two things that you might want to consider. One, it is a little heavier than the "standard" Euro, and two, the top section must be cut to precisely the correct length or it won't operate correctly when you put it together. The latter issue was, for me, more of a PITA than cutting tenons...

If you follow the link in the 1st reply and look at Berea's other 7mm offerings, you should find the Streamline kit. If you haven't turned them before you might like them. The've always been one of my favorites. They seem to work out best when turned bushing to bushing but the result when kept really simple is very elegant.

JohnU

You could try the cigar pen and just turn it down a little thinner in the middle. No tennons and still a parker.

Rick_G

I turn most of my slims to resemble a 7mm euro like this. You could do the same thing with the 8mm euro kit. Put a piece of contrasting wood where the CB would normally go. No tenon required but you will need to have the equivalent of a closed end mandrel so you can undercut the end of the cap.

Attachments

• mallee_slim.jpg
    mallee_slim.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 209

hrigg

What is a good quality twist pen that I could use to take the place of the Euro?

Here's a 7mm Euro, so it's a Cross refill instead of a Parker, but I moved the center band half way down the lower barrel and replaced it with a piece of pickguard epoxied to the Corian. I can't say how well it would work with a Parker mechanism.

modifiedEuro.jpg

jtrusselle

I've made a couple hundred Euro's and learned that no matter how precise the tenon cut you can have quality problems due to wood shrinkage or cutting the tenon to the exact or a bit less dimension. That is, the center band can loosen over time. I've learned to leave more wood than the specified dimension although slightly (micrometer is needed and dry fitting can help). A tighter, pressed fit is better for durability over time. Also, instead of CA glue I now use a thin coat of Gorilla glue. Just have to be careful of G-glue expansion to the outer surface.

d1lb3rt

I haven't tried this kit, but Woodwrite's Executive Slimline resembles the Euro and uses a Parker refill. Available with either a gold or black cap. Looks like you have to order in multiples of ten. Available only in titantium gold. This kit may offer a viable alternative to the Euro. Here's the link:

http://www.woodwriteltd.com/pens.htm

You have to open the adobe acrobat catalog file from their home page to get the details.

Last edited:

RAdams

Banned
The Euro is probably my favorite pen to make. Alot of that has to do with the added difficulty of turning the tenon. Of all the Euros i have made, only one CB came loose, which prompted the owner to contact me and order another pen in the process of asking about repairs. Naturally i fixed the CB for free. For myself, The joy of making the pens comes at the lathe, so kits with extra steps in the turning process make me giggle inside.

I think the coolest solution to the CB problem has already been suggested. Replace the CB with a material glued directly to the tube. I hope to play with this idea myself in the near future just to snazz up the slimline kit.

DurocShark

I turn most of my slims to resemble a 7mm euro like this. You could do the same thing with the 8mm euro kit. Put a piece of contrasting wood where the CB would normally go. No tenon required but you will need to have the equivalent of a closed end mandrel so you can undercut the end of the cap.

Hey, that looks like mine!

burlslim03.jpg

I do like the look and feel of the Euros. But on Friday I was at the flea market and found a guy selling factory made ones for 25c each.

Sigh.

Top Bottom