Alternate Ivory and Amboyna Burl Duo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this A.M. It's Alternate Ivory on the cap and Amboyna Burl on the body. Placed on a Cambridge Gold Fountain Pen with Silver Accents. I thought it looked different with the dual materials but nice. Anyway, it was fun making it. Comments welcome but most of all thanks for just looking. Hope everyone has a great Sunday. Doc:)

Attachments

• Alternate Ivory and Amboyna Burl_2.jpg
    Alternate Ivory and Amboyna Burl_2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 222
  • Alternate Ivory and Amboyna Burl_1.jpg
    Alternate Ivory and Amboyna Burl_1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 192
  • Alternate Ivory and Amboyna Burl.jpg
    Alternate Ivory and Amboyna Burl.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 235
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Made it this A.M. It's Alternate Ivory on the cap and Amboyna Burl on the body. Placed on a Cambridge Gold Fountain Pen with Silver Accents. I thought it looked different with the dual materials but nice. Anyway, it was fun making it. Comments welcome but most of all thanks for just looking. Hope everyone has a great Sunday. Doc:)
I would never have thought of that. Thanks for the idea! I quite like it!

jttheclockman

I always liked the idea of mixing colors and also mixing materials. Who says a pen has to match with the grain lines match and the patterns matching. This looks good. I am guessing you have mentioned how you finish your woods but would appreciate it if you could mention it again. Looks like you have a nice deep shine on this one. Thanks for showing and keep them coming.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
A question to anyone that cares to answer1

What other combos of wood, non-wood can you imagine working? It seems to me the non-wood would have to be very similar to Exotics alternate ivory, bone, mother-of-pearl or such.:confused:

jttheclockman

What other combos of wood, non-wood can you imagine working? It seems to me the non-wood would have to be very similar to Exotics alternate ivory, bone, mother-of-pearl or such.:confused:

Mack

You can mix and match acrylics such as these I did. That is Sheaffer blanks on top and my own white mixture on the bottom.

redandbluecigarpens.jpg

You can mix and match CaptG CF blanks with aluminum or use white CF and black CF together. You see antler used with woods and with cartridges. I started making a Cambridge hybrid with green truestone and Casein and mixed the bottom and tops to get 2 different looks but unfortunately the casen has cracked on me twice now so I abandoned that idea and will try using the alternate casein to see if that solves my problem. It is a very classy look. I can use my metal blanks and team them with a CF blank. I am sure Toni's blanks would look good split up also with a solid color. Some times too much of one thing gets overpowering. Just my 2¢

jskeen

Antler top over mesquite or desert ironwood is probably my top selling material. slimlines to fs gents. Don't usually make it on the more intricate kits, but seeing that one, might have to try one. perhaps a jr emp? hmmmmm

wizard

Mack,
These are some of what I call the "duos" that I have made. Some of them are my earliest pens...not sure anyone liked them but I did :rolleyes:. Most are a combination of Tru-Stone and Acrylic or two different colors of acrylic resin.
See what you think. I don't know how to place the picture within the post itself so I attached some thumbnails. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Regards, Doc

Attachments

• Lapis Duofold_2.jpg
    Lapis Duofold_2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Malachite1.jpg
    Malachite1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Red Duo1.jpg
    Red Duo1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Ivory_Malachite on Cambridge Fountain Pen_2.jpg
    Ivory_Malachite on Cambridge Fountain Pen_2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 119

wizard

I always liked the idea of mixing colors and also mixing materials. Who says a pen has to match with the grain lines match and the patterns matching. This looks good. I am guessing you have mentioned how you finish your woods but would appreciate it if you could mention it again. Looks like you have a nice deep shine on this one. Thanks for showing and keep them coming.

John,
I finish the wood to 600 grit with regular bushings. From that point on, I place the turned blanks on a mandrel using John Goodin's (johnnycnc) delrineliminator/finishing bushings. I start by cleaning the wood with a rubbing alcohol pad and let dry. I start with one coat of thin CA to penetrate the wood. I follow with 6 to 8 coats of medium CA. Between coats 1, 3 and 5, I spray accelerator from the aerosol can from 12 inches away while the lathe is at high speed and the dust collection is on high moving the aerosol away from the lathe. I use accelerator again after the final coat of CA. After letting it dry for 5 to 10 minutes, I begin sanding again with a wet piece of 600 grit sandpaper and wipe the residue off the surface fairly often with a wet cloth. Each time I wipe, I look at the surface of the finish with light reflecting off the surface to make sure there are no irregularities or ripples from the CA application. I then finish with wet MM from 1200 to 12000 wiping the residue off with a wet towel after each grit. I finish off with HUT Plastic Polish and then lightly buff with a microfiber cloth. That's probably more information than you wanted to know:rolleyes:. This method works for me. I hope it helps. I still feel like a newbie and know that there are a lot more talented individuals on the site that certainly could teach me more about CA finishing. Regards, Doc:)

MatthewZS

First, VERY nice pen!! I'm a big fan of doing mixed materials like this. Trying to find a complimentary contrast.

Second, Iv'e sort of had an eye on someday trying wood and either soapstone or alabaster.

jttheclockman

Thanks Doc. I just could not remember your method for as I said I bet you mentioned it here before. Looks great as always. Thanks for showing.

aggromere

That looks really nice on the Cambridge. Alt Ivory or Casein upper and an amboyna burl lower is my favorite combination for pens. I think it looks great. Nice job.

Top Bottom