Alternate Casein

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this A.M. (Do my best work early in A.M. :rolleyes:). Pen is made from an Alternate Casein blank from Exotic Blanks on a Titanium Gold Jr. Gentleman Rollerball also from Exotics. I think it looks nice. Comments welcome. Have a great Thanksgiving ! Doc:)

Attachments

• Alternate Casein on Titanium Gold Jr Gent_2.jpg
    Alternate Casein on Titanium Gold Jr Gent_2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 258
  • Alternate Casein on Titanium Gold Jr Gent_1.jpg
    Alternate Casein on Titanium Gold Jr Gent_1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 221
  • Alternate Casein on Titanium Gold Jr Gent.jpg
    Alternate Casein on Titanium Gold Jr Gent.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 282
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Doc

Nice job on this pen as well as all that you have done and I am sure will do in the future. You have this pen turning and turning in the AM down pat. I do have to ask you though, there is something strange about your pens and can not quite put my finger on it. Maybe it is the kit or maybe it is the bulge you add. Or maybe it is the photos. But the bottom and top parts of the pen do not look like they finish off nicely into the kit parts. They look like they halt abrubtly and the end grain is exposed. Is this an obticle illusion or do you do this on purpose or am I way off base here. I noticed this on other pens you have shown and maybe it is just that blackbackground hides the kit parts too much.

I looked at it again with the pen open photo and what I thought was underturning is just the photo with that black background. Not a fan of that background but I know alot of people love it. Great job Doc. I have some of that and as of yet been unable to turn it. Doing weekend shows takes alot out of the week also.

Last edited:

Lenny

Doc,
I have been curious about this material ... it seems to be a very close match, for an alternative material, to the casin pens I have seen! Thanks for posting!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Lenny and others, it is a LITTLE lighter (alternate) in color. And it does not smell.

Pattern is a little more pronounced. (alternate)

I have no problem turning either one, but if you have turned any of the "cats", the alternate is a similar "feel".
Hope this helps.

ctubbs

OK, Doc, you got me. On this beautiful pen there appears to be ridges very evenly spaced around the body of the blanks running length ways. If it is just the photo or the natural inclusions in the blanks, that is one thing, but it looks like you carved them into the material. Which ever it is, they look great! If you did carve them, congratulations on excellent work. Of course, it would just meet your high standards. Thanks for sharing.
Charles

wizard

OK, Doc, you got me. On this beautiful pen there appears to be ridges very evenly spaced around the body of the blanks running length ways. If it is just the photo or the natural inclusions in the blanks, that is one thing, but it looks like you carved them into the material. Which ever it is, they look great! If you did carve them, congratulations on excellent work. Of course, it would just meet your high standards. Thanks for sharing.
Charles

Charles,
Thanks so much for your kind words! The alternate casein, like the actual casein, has natural striations along the length of the blank. I certainly didn't put them there or carve them. Regards, Doc

Parson

But the bottom and top parts of the pen do not look like they finish off nicely into the kit parts. They look like they halt abrubtly and the end grain is exposed.

I saw the same thing... and I think I shall give it a try on a pen sometime. Might be interesting. I'll probably turn to the bushings in the centers though, just to make it easier to write with.

I actually think it's a cool, unique look for a couple of pens to sell or add to my collection. I like the simulated casein too. Odd though, casein is simulated ivory, so it's really double alternate man made ivory :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom