Alternate Casein - Can I recover from this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

I've got an alternate casein blank turned down to final size but it's very splotchy coloring (light and dark blotches)

I reverse painted the blank and painted the tube both white. Epoxied the tubes.

I don't know if it was a paint issue or a color issue in the blank, but I'd like to try and recover from it. Is there a way to cleanly get the epoxy to release and get the tube back out? They are Cambridge tubes so I'd prefer to keep them in tact and get everything apart, clean up the hole, repaint and then reglue.

I saw mention of boiling to break epoxy free but not sure what that would do to the casein.

Otherwise I'll have to turn them off and order a new blank :frown:

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Carl:
There is a solvent made especially to delaminate epoxy. I'm looking all over the shop for it. The name starts with a "K". I can't seem to find the solvent.

It will de bond the epoxy without adverse effect to acrylics. I'm NOT sure of the effects on Alt casein, as I don't use it.

Xander

Carl:
There is a solvent made especially to delaminate epoxy. I'm looking all over the shop for it. The name starts with a "K". I can't seem to find the solvent.

It will de bond the epoxy without adverse effect to acrylics. I'm NOT sure of the effects on Alt casein, as I don't use it.

Is this what you are looking for?

Amazon.com: Attack Glue-Dissolving Compound: Everything Else

Oh wait, I see that that will disolve PR. Not good. My bad, sorry

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

Do we know what the alt casein is actually made of? Is it PR or some sort of acrylic?

I'm thinking that it would be cheaper to just buy a new blank than to buy a chemical...unless I just want to play with it to see if it CAN be recovered.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Do we know what the alt casein is actually made of? Is it PR or some sort of acrylic?

I'm thinking that it would be cheaper to just buy a new blank than to buy a chemical...unless I just want to play with it to see if it CAN be recovered.

If you are planning to order soon, just note at the bottom in the comments and I will give you another alt casein. I don't know the chemical makeup, but I would say it is neither acrylic nor resin that I am familiar with. So, I don't want to advise on chemicals, since I don't know what will "eat" it.

dansills

If you are planning to order soon, just note at the bottom in the comments and I will give you another alt casein. I don't know the chemical makeup, but I would say it is neither acrylic nor resin that I am familiar with. So, I don't want to advise on chemicals, since I don't know what will "eat" it.

Just gave yet another reason to order all my blanks from Exotics!!

Carl Fisher

Is there ever not a reason to order from Ed and Dawn :)

I'm going to try one or two things first, but I may just put in an order for a fresh blank and some replacement tubes for a Cambridge...if they are available that is.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
order other stuff you want, Carl. I'll throw in a couple alt casein as freebees.

I've made the Cambridge with alt casein---it is a NICE LOOKING pen!!!
We'll get er made, one way or another!!

chriselle

Ed's da man!!:biggrin: Me, I'd just spin it off and get some more and while waiting get some other pens done. What is that stuff....6 bucks a blank? :confused:

Don't mind me...I have a big show this weekend and am locked in to production mode. :biggrin:

Top Bottom