All that glitters is gold.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveRoberts

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveRoberts

My wifes idea, lots of fun and pretty easy when you get the hang of it. 23K gold leaf baron.

200662125021_AmyGold%20003.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

So how did you make it? It is very unique and interesting looking. Depending on how it's made, could you make the same thing with silver?

SteveRoberts

<b>Making this pen was a breeze. We took Baron tubes, some gold leaf from the art supply store and a bottle of brushable CA. Many tiny bits of gold leaf stuck to your fingers later you have tubes covered in real gold.

The outside was a bit of a cheat albeit a smart one. We went up to pipemakers emporium and bought some clear lucite. Drilled it a hair over size, ran thin CA thru the insides of the pen and then slid the gold tube into it's slot. From there it turned like any other pen. Yes you could do it easily in silver, we plan to do it in all the mixed metal leaf colors you can get.</b>

SteveRoberts

Originally posted by huntersilver
<br />Hi Steve,
do you think it would work if you casted it in PR?
<b>Yes, actually I think that is the correct way to do it but this was a prototype and we were anxious to see one done. I think we will have our expert caster friend do that part of it once we get several sets of tubes ready.

I am fond of the lucite for it's strength, it is much harder to shatter accidently than PR but casting would make for a cleaner tighter finished product.

We are going to take this pen very seriously in our line, with patience whole landscapes can be done in contrasting colors of metal.</b>

jpick22

I found out several years ago (as a products designer) that there were few really "New" things - lots of variations - but normally a re-do of something that's been done before - maybe many times before.

My thoughts more than once - "Wow!" Look what I came up with! About 2 or 3 years ago, I did a little experimenting that you can take a look at if you want. The photos aren't all that wonderful, but hopefully I do better now.

http://tinyurl.com/ephqv

And while you're in the gallery, maybe you can look at another group of foil-type pens ((about 1 or 2 pics over).

I like the gold foil pen just presented.I'm not trying to put a damper on anyone interrested in foil pens - in fact, now I'm re-interested in doing some more. Thanks for re-planting the seed.

Jay

Originally posted by SteveRoberts
<br />
Originally posted by huntersilver
<br />Hi Steve,
do you think it would work if you casted it in PR?
<b>Yes, actually I think that is the correct way to do it but this was a prototype and we were anxious to see one done. I think we will have our expert caster friend do that part of it once we get several sets of tubes ready.

I am fond of the lucite for it's strength, it is much harder to shatter accidently than PR but casting would make for a cleaner tighter finished product.

We are going to take this pen very seriously in our line, with patience whole landscapes can be done in contrasting colors of metal.</b>

SteveRoberts

Thanks Jay,

Your pens look great. If we had the idea that we were pioneers or going to keep the "idea" to ourselves we wouldn't have posted it for all to see/try. We plan on a unique approach to the idea.

Steve

jpick22

Steve. . . It was certainly NOT my intention to draw from your post, that you thought you were a "pioneer" in the foil thing, but rather just a story of my own personal "discoveries" that never were. To point you to my pens were merely to give you a quick look at how foils looked encapsulated in PR, in case you hadn't seen any before. I think Lou did one (in a much more complicated technique), but I don't whether he ever posted it.

Your "scenery" idea is certainly nothing I've ever seen before (except on card stock). I think it's a great idea and could really be beautiful.

Regards,
Jay

I look forward to seeing your progress in doing this, but there will be no attempts at something like that by me - eyes too old and hands probably not that steady anymore.

Originally posted by SteveRoberts
<br />Thanks Jay,

Your pens look great. If we had the idea that we were pioneers or going to keep the "idea" to ourselves we wouldn't have posted it for all to see/try. We plan on a unique approach to the idea.

Steve

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I like this one a lot. Of course, we all re-invent stuff. Heck, how much of the world do any of us really know? Here's one I did a while back.

2006624380_Kyoto0005.jpg
<br />

I wish you well with the line!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom