Alignment of cap on Jr. Gent/Jr. Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jedgerton

I hate to ask dumb questions but does anyone know of a way to align the body and cap sections of a pen like the Jr. Gent or Jr. Statesman that would be short of disassembly and trying again?

I have one of those really neat Texas Flag pens done but somehow the alignment got off (my fault I'm sure) and the line between the red and white sections doesn't line up with the center of the star.

I tried disassembly and was unable to get the nib end or the post end to move. I'm just hoping there is an easier way!

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

First, check to make sure you're on the right thread. The Jr. Statemen I have are three start threads, so only one start gets you close to matching. The Baron is a four start so two threads get you close on most woods.

Second, is this a postable or non-postable?

If it's postable the disassembly of the lower body isn't too hard. you can use the same thing I did here for the Baron.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41042&highlight=disassembling+baron

If not, then its a good bit harder.

jskeen

Check to see if the trim ring below the nib coupler is loose. If the fit is not very tight you can sometimes pull the nib coupler out just a touch when tightening the cap. If so, consider removing the end cap and nib, then putting a drop or two of thin ca inside the tube to run down to the nib coupler, and press it back in to see if it fixes the problem. If that don't do it, I'm pretty sure you are going to have to take it apart to change the alignment, because the black Delrin insert with the threads is a very tight fit inside the cap tube. If you try to twist it without taking it out, you are almost certain to damage the threads. Of the two methods of alignment, I usually have better luck assembling the pen body, then aligning the cap to it, but it is possible to leave the cap assembled and adjust the threaded nib coupler. This is usually more difficult however because the depth to which the coupler is inserted directly effects how far the cap rotates. If you adjust the cap to fit the body, the depth to which the female threads seats is always consistent due to the lip on the center band assy seating on the bottom of the cap tube.

To disassemble the cap, I use a transfer punch with a dimple drilled in the working end. The dimple avoids unseating the finial insert when removing the finial assembly and clip. Then use a larger punch to drive out the threaded insert and center band assy. Be sure before reassembly to use a reamer or something to clean up any damage to the top of the threaded insert to avoid scratching your nib section. DAMHIKT To reassemble, seat finial and clip, then ensure that the threaded insert is seated fully down on the center band assy, then hand insert it into the cap tube just far enough that you can still turn it, thread down on to the nib coupler, turn the cap to align, then remove the cap carefully, and seat the centerband into the tube.

Let us know how it works out for you, (preferably with pictures :)

Last edited:
J

jackrichington

hopefully I understand your question: when you assemble..BEFORE you put your centerring up inside the cap..line the pen upper & lower up as you want them ((screw the lower into upper, but don't push together) when it lines up, very gently remove and then push parts together...hope I understood your question

lwalden

James (jskeen) provides excellent directions along with the rational- the amount of exposed thread on the nib end of the body isn't established until it is press fit into the lower barrel. For alignment, it is much more straight forward to assemble the body/lower barrel first, then thread the center coupler for the cap onto the lower barrel, align the grain (or in this case the star to the centerline of the red/white lower barrel), start to press the upper barrel onto the center coupler by hand, once it gets started gently unscrew the lower barrel/body, then finish pressing the center coupler into the cap using your favorite pen press. My experience with the Jr vII was that if you assembled the cap first, then tried to align the nib end to the lower barrel, you ended up about 25 degrees off on your alignment. Sorry, but sounds like gaining some disassembly experience is in your future...:frown:

Top Bottom