alabaster

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ryankelley

I found a little store near me that sells stones and they have some raw alabaster in small quantity. I know that I can use turning tools on it but I also know that alabaster is very soft and prone to cracking apart very easily. I would like to turn a pen out of some but I don't know how to reinforce it so I can drill and turn it, if anyone has any ideas that would be great. Also I do not have a pressure pot or a vacumn pot.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

Ryan,

I have only turned one alabaster pen so far, so take this for what it's worth.

I didn't do anything special to reinforce it, but I drilled slowly, clearing the bit often, and turned with normal tools. I knocked the corners off with a sander, first, I was careful to keep the tools sharp and use very light cuts. I soaked with thin CA as part of the finish process. Also, alabaster can be tranlucent when it's thin enough, so you'll want to paint the tubes.

Cheers,

-Barry

DurocShark

I wonder where the weaknesses are. I made an alabaster ashtray using a drill with a big stone on it back in high school and had no problems. I made it pretty thin too. But of course, nowhere near as thin as we would for a pen. But I want to try some. The hobby shops around here don't carry it, so I'm gonna have to find a rock&gem shop or something to get some.

GoodTurns

R&B Crafts frequently has alabaster blanks. they will crack, but if you CA them, it just adds "character" to the pen, and doesn't look bad at all. It does make a heavy pen, and will shatter if dropped hard enough!

artistwood

i thin CA the hole AFTER i drill it at least twice on blanks prone to cracking, then i ca the tube in. helps to warm the blank first with a hair dryer as it makes it absorbe the CA better. haven't had on break since doing this....kinda reinforces it from the inside out...

Chasper

I made an alabaster jr statesman FP that was purchased by a collector, it has never been used, still in the box and so far it hasn't cracked. I've had wood pens crack before they were used.

But if you want to make one that someone can actually use; try a Sierra first, there is only one tube, fingers are on the metal end part, not on the alabaster. Also try turning away the alabaster down to the tube for 1/4 inch or so on both ends and replace it with a sturdy wood. On the pens I made of solid alabaster the chipping started at the ends of the tubes.

If you really want to keep it breaking, try wrapping it with several layers of foam tape, you won't be able to see the alabaster but it probably won't break until at least the second or third time it is dropped.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gerry,

You have some experience with stone. Why would a pen crack, after it is made? Does stone also "move"?? (This would be news, to me)

Chasper

Gerry,

You have some experience with stone. Why would a pen crack, after it is made? Does stone also "move"?? (This would be news, to me)

They crack because they are dropped. Alabaster, soapstone and other soft stones start chipping from at the nib or CB.

Fresh quarry stone; alabaster, pipestone, limestone, sandstone, marble, and others need to air out and cure for a year or so. The quarry people refer to is as "airing out the quarry gas." Fresh out of the quarry they are much softer, easier to carve and turn, but subject to cracking in thin sections. Stone yards leave them sitting out in the rain to air out, it isn't moisture evaporating like in wood, but thin sections definitely will move until they are cured.

Top Bottom