Air Force Pen idea

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SGM Retired

Need idea's for turning a pen for a friend of mine that served in the Air Force. His wife has asked me to turn one with AF colors and a decal. Does anyone have any ideas for this pen? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SGM Retired

I got a USMC cartridge from Larry but don't think she wants a bullet as the pen. I was thinking Cigar pen with antler lower with decal and blue acrylic upper but not sure how that would look. Has anyone seen an inlay for AF??

hewunch

Here is one I did for a C-130 pilot. On the side I put a decal of a C-130 and under the clip I put his squadron logo.

obj958geo963pg20p20.png

obj959geo964pg20p20.png

Snowbeast

Here's a pen/pencil set I did for a friend whose son is getting promoted next week.

Maybe add a silver decal of the new USAF eagle...

Attachments

• Tooke 2.jpg
    Tooke 2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 345

dmott

just made a few pens with my first "decals" (actually just address labels from Office Depot).

Some hobby shops sell waterslide decals for model cars, or Ive seen guys recommend decalpaper.com. Then you can put them on tubes and cast in resin, or get a fairly flat surface and put right on the wood/pen material, and build up a real thick finish layer.

THese are my first two. Also made a padre pen that started with wrinkles in my sticker. between every 5 coats or so i would sand with grit to help level it out. Ended up really nice.

as far as colors i would just segment acrylic or mix up a batch with the right colors if you cast yourself.

edit: there is no consistent line of glare or shine because this was taken at night in my lap with flash only in a dark room. THere is no overhead light to show a reflection. Enough CA glue completely covers the ridges made by the stickers.

Attachments

• 2011-10-29_23-01-43_687 (800x451).jpg
    2011-10-29_23-01-43_687 (800x451).jpg
    163 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:

SGM Retired

Thanks everyone for those ideas, that C-130 is awesome. I don't cast so I must buy the color blanks. Not sure well the decal will show with a dark blue blank, has anyone placed a white background decal on a dark color blank? The C-130 clear decal on white looks great but would like a more darker blue if it's possible. I did check with Constants but due to being trademark they don't have. Thanks everyone again for these ideas, will keep looking.

hewunch

Thanks everyone for those ideas, that C-130 is awesome. I don't cast so I must buy the color blanks. Not sure well the decal will show with a dark blue blank, has anyone placed a white background decal on a dark color blank? The C-130 clear decal on white looks great but would like a more darker blue if it's possible. I did check with Constants but due to being trademark they don't have. Thanks everyone again for these ideas, will keep looking.

The C-130 was a white decal, as was the squadron logo. I have put white on dark before and I have played with the contrast of the print to compensate. Also, I have put clear on dark if I wanted it to look more subtle, or even like wood grain.

SGM Retired

Did not think of the clips, thanks. As for the light on dark combo's I recon I will just have to try it out, thanks. I have clear decal sheets but have not tried yet. It's time to start printing. If there are any more ideas keep them coming.

t001xa22

Like John said, the options are great using the custom clips from Wood Pen Pro. I have used them several times, and the clips are well-made. They also have combo sets that have a custom finial matched with the clip of your choice of branches of service. Please forgive the not-so-great photos; these were done before I built my lightbox.

Attachments

• DesertCamoPen3.JPG
    DesertCamoPen3.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Round Top Woodland Camo 2.jpg
    Round Top Woodland Camo 2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 129

denniszoomy

Where can you get the military decals small enough for pens? and do you do a CA Glue finish over them to try and keep them on?

Top Bottom