Air compressor woes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

I've got a small Porter Cable "pancake" type compressor I use in the shop. Went down today to do a little turning and noticed my pressure was way down. Checked to see if it was turned off and it won't do anything. It's around three years old and never had any trouble from it. Does anyone have any experience with this type or any idea if it's even worth tearing into to check out? I thoought about opening it up to see if it's locked up or if it's possibly an electrical problem. I've never fooled with anything like this but I'm always willing to take something apart! :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

If it gets cold in your shop I can pretty much guarantee you tripped the breaker/ blew a fuse when the compressor tried to start up. if it is not the breaker then check for a reset switch on the compressor itself. Compressors hate the cold.

Gary Max

Do a online search for Porter Cable---find the nearest service center.
If it's close---I would take it to them---sometimes you can get them fixed free or at little cost to you.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I used to buy one of those every year.. .but we used it about 8 hours a
day, 6 days a week.

They build up water and you need to make sure to keep them lubed.
Mine would get sluggish first, so I'd open it up and lube the compressor.
Other than that, they're pretty much maintenance free.

If it won't do anything at all, it won't hurt to open up the valve cover and
see if you can move the valves by hand. They might be seized. Also possible
you can take it apart and clean/lube, but maybe not. Can't hurt to try, but
make sure you lube with compressor oil.

kirkfranks

DO make sure that you check for a reset (breaker) on or near the motor. Mine will kick out if it is cold at night. I hear even you folks in the deep south had cold last night. I try to always make sure to turn mine off when I leave the shop for this reason.

Top Bottom