Advise on Plating Options

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
There are several that offer both. I think you can easily find Sierra Style kits offering both.

I have read that it is a Black Nickel alloy (it is not enamel)but have never asked my supplier about the formula. The plating process is probably the same as for most finishes. My supplier says they use the same process for all finishes except for the Titaniums, Rhodium and the enamels and some of their antique finishes.

So same manufacture, same kit offered in Black Ti AND gun metal? With sierra's there are more than one manufacture of them and one may call it 'black Ti' while another may call it 'gun metal'
I don't think that is. Black TI is a ceramic plating and gun metal is metal plating. There is enough difference in the color that people would notice. I personally think Black TI has a considerably more flat look and gun metal a brighter look. BTW I can get all series kits from the same manufacturer in either finish if I want them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

I don't think that is. Black TI is a ceramic plating and gun metal is metal plating. There is enough difference in the color that people would notice. I personally think Black TI has a considerably more flat look and gun metal a brighter look. BTW I can get all series kits from the same manufacturer in either finish if I want them.

It would appear that I may have been under some false impressions from incorrect/bad information etc about the two. It was more they were identical and more marketing than anything else. From what you just said it is more metal vs ceramic.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

It would appear that I may have been under some false impressions from incorrect/bad information etc about the two. It was more they were identical and more marketing than anything else. From what you just said it is more metal vs ceramic.
That's right.

Black TI (which I used on my original Le Roi kits) was actually available in both black and the gray seen now. My supplier stopped doing it in black so I switched to black chrome. My supplier switched because getting the black color caused problems (cracks in the plating) they couldn't overcome.

PSI had a slimline that was black titanium and was black they now offer that kit in black enamel but have the standard black TI also. They don't offer GM in that line of slims but they do in their funlines where they don't offer either TI.

Top Bottom