Adjustible mandrels?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
An adjustable mandrel and mandrel saver end will be straight and put minimal stress on the blank as well as being less dependent on a "flush cut" facing.

If you face the blank perfectly and have bushings that will fit perfectly on your live and dead centers, turning between centers will be equally accurate.

I continue to use an adjustable mandrel, since I choose to "face" my blank after it is mostly turned.

YMMV!!

zig613

I use the 7mm and 8mm mandrel shaft(s) in my Beall collet chuck. Its adjustable and runs truer.

Wade

Lenny

Any time you can shorten the mandrel there will be less flex, so Yes!

If you use a collet chuck I was going to suggest you get the mandrel that John Goddin sells as part of his Eliminator bushings package but when I checked he doesn't seem to offer them anymore. (Maybe I'm wrong) The nice thing about his mandrel is it is longer which allows the use of his Delrin bushings for CA finishing.

PenPal

Mark,

Go to search type in adjustable mandrels out will tumble so many answers to satisfy.

Do you drive a stick shift? an automatic car? is your car a hybrid?.

What model car do you drive? a sedan? a utility vehicle? amilitary type unit?

These questions I call Kung Fu questions as Mrs Beaton says first slaughter your ox.

A basic start is at your Wood group, next Suppliers then it will unfold to you only you.

Firstly insert your parameters bit like going to the Doctor and saying I am unwell of very little diagnostic value, your cure depends on information. I suspect this is that is your question also what is called a red herring or a Dorothy Dixer. If so have fun if not have fun.

Kind regards Peter.

PenMan1

If you have an ER32 chuck, such as the Beall Collet Chuck, you can just buy the $5 mandrel shaft. I have found the collet chucked mandrel far superior to an adjustable mandrel, a "mandrel saver" or any other similar system I've used.

Besides being more accurate than the adjustables, the collet configuration makes it virtually impossible to overtighten and bend the mandrel.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I don't know your frame of reference, Andy.

Every adjustable mandrel I have seen utilizes a collet to hold the shaft. I have no idea how you could bend it by tightening.

PenMan1

You are right, Ed. All of the adjustables that I'm familiar with do use a collet.... MUCH closer to the size of a Dremel collet than to the ER32. The smaller the collet, the MORE easier it is to misalign the mandrel shaft in the collet. A mis-aligned mandrel shaft in the smaller collet will almost bend the first time the tail lock is tightened down.

All adjustable mandrels are NOT created equally. The ones Berea sells (and the same one I think you sell) uses a BIGGER (and longer) collet and a much smaller tightening system. These are DIFFICULT to mis-align and bend. Conversely, another supplier makes a "wrench free" adjustable mandrel that uses a HUGE tightening system and a tiny collet. It is difficult to use this mandrel without bending the shaft.

The reason the Er32 runs more true is because it fits the lathe head stock rather than relying on a taper fit, which is easily affected bt debris and wear.

Last edited:

PenMan1

WHICHEVER SYSTEM you use, ER32 collet/mandrel or adjustable mandrel, I have found it is a good practice to pull the 60 degree live center snug into mandrel's "dimple" before making final tightening on the collet.

This will help to assure that the mandrel is seated as accurately as possible.

Last edited:

scottwood

In my opinion an adjustable mandrel is a good buy. It's good for making closed end pens.

Scott

I would like to know what pwhay was smoking when he replied to this post...or maybe it's just Aussie speek:bulgy-eyes:

PenPal

Scott,

As always I like to stimulate thought in answering questions also I often look back through answers given by the question giver.

Put simply in Aussie fashion lets cut to the chase.

Perhaps all my 78 yrs have been a quest for getting to the reasons then giving an opinion.

There are with my wife and me some in excess of sixty people directly ours GC GGC Children.

Since smoke and mirrors belong to polititions and used car salespersons and I use great care with their statements.

Always in the back of my mind is the example of the child who went to his Mum saying where do we come from, after a two hour explanation of the birds and the bees the child replied my mate Jim comes from England I wanted to know where I came from.

There are a real number of members on the IAP I have become friends with over the years
through my communications with them. My endeavor on this post was simple how to give my thoughts to assist from a one liner question.

Kind regards Peter.

PenMan1

Scott:
IMHO, an ER32 Collet chuck and collets would be a better investment than an adjustable mandrel.

As a case, in point, with closed end pens, the closed end mandrel system that Arizona Silohutte sells for all of the popular component sets fits nicely into a collet chuck with a 1/2 inch collet.

Additionally, should you venture into custom pens made without components, a collet is a "must have" tool.

A $5 mandrel shaft will fit nicely into the collet making a precise "adjustable" mandrel.
I have all 3 of the readily available ER32 Collet chuck systems. I use them for MANY purposes. IN FACT , on my "main pen turning lathe" the only time the collet chuck gets removed is for cleaning.

I'll bet I still have 2-3 adjustable mandrels, but I'm not sure I could find one, because they haven't been used in years.

Haynie

Everything seems to keep coming back to collet chucks. Guess I am going to have to get a collet chuck. Guess I need to buy myself a birthday present.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Collet chucks ARE very useful, far more applications than an adjustable mandrel.

HOWEVER, you can purchase at least FOUR mandrels for the price of a collet chuck. (inexpensive version). So, it's apples and pineapples comparison.

scottwood

I stand corrected, A collet chuch is the better investment over an adjustable mandrel alone.
Also my apologese Peter, I meant no disrespect. I now understand your writing style, and thought process a little better and appriciate that you explained it to me.
I bow to the expert advice of the members of the IAP and continue to learn something new everyday.

Scott

Haynie

Peter, thank you for your point of view but I did do a site search and there were no posts that answered my question. The IAP is the only easily gotten to source for advice on pen turning, turning in general, and general wood working information.

I have yet to be steered wrong by IAP members so I trust the advice I get on this site.

Top Bottom