Adjustable pen mandrels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

I'm thinking of upgrading to an adjustable mandrel, and I've noticed there are several styles available from several retailers. I'm looking for a little guidance from anyone who might have tried a few different types. Is there agreement about the best adjustable mandrel? Any problems with any of the adjustable mandrels?

I know many of you turn exclusively between centers, but I'm not ready to take the step just yet.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
These adjustable mandrels are usually more accurate than the screw-in adapter or the average Jacobs chuck, and they have the advantage of a somewhat adjustable mandrel length.

The most accurate way to hold a mandrel is the Beall Collet Chuck, or one of the others that are similar; but the cost is considerably more than the adjustable mandrel.

JimMc7

I bought my MT2 adjustable mandrel from a pen state resaler, www.woodnwhimsies.com . <snip>

Same here and very satisfied with their product. I use between centers turning for all pens where John (penturnersproducts/johnnycnc) offers the bushings. I still use the adjustable mandrel and John's Eliminator bushings for applying/polishing CA and kits with no offered CTC bushings.

PenMan1

When I started, I tried about every mandrel available. My favorites were the adjustable ones from Arizona Silhouette and Berea. They are stiffer than the PSI models and weren't so touchy about bending when tightened. The AS mandrel is also much easier to adjust because it uses a set screw instead of wrenches or tommy levers to tighten it.

I soon moved on to turning between centers, but I were still turning on a mandrel, I would look at the Berea adjustable AND the new "mandrel saver" live center from PSI.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I use the PSI collet chuck for my mandrel. One advantage with a collet is it doesn't matter which mandrel rod you use they all fit and are all adjustable. Plus the collet can be used for other things than just holding a pen mandrel.

David Keller

I appreciate all of the input... I'm a bit of a toolaholic, and I've been looking for another reason to get a collet chuck. I think this may push me over the edge for the purchase. I do a lot of smaller turnings other than pens, and I think the collet chuck may be the way to go for me. Also, I use a B mandrel when making cigar pens, so the ability to use both A and B mandrels with a collet would be great. Thanks again to those who responded.

Top Bottom