Adding stone inlay to a engraved pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike_in_CA

I was hoping the title would grab someone's attention.
Here's the deal. I've had a few pens laser engraved with names and company logos. On some pens, depending on the woods, they're difficult to read. So I'd like to try filling the engraving with a ground colored stone, such as turquoise, or maybe in some, gold leaf.
Maybe then I'd have to add some sort of finish over the inlay, like lacquer? Obviously, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Is this possible after the pen is finished. Does someone have an idea how/where I could get started with this?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

I've never done it, but it seems crushed stone would be tough. You may be better off with some sort of opaque glue. Let that set in then turn down. Even at that, you're going have to be surgical with the ammount of material you take off.

bobaltig

Mike: When I've filled with turquoise, I put a finish on the wood before doing the inlay. Then I fill with the crushed stone and put CA on the stone to bind it together. As there is always some excess around the edge of the inlay, I then resand both the inlay and the wood. Once satisfied that there is no edge you can feel between the inlay material and the wood, I refinish everything.

I find it best to put a finish on the wood so that stray stone doesn't get into the pores of the wood.

There are probably better ways to do it, but I haven't found them. Also if you happened to buy any crushed stone from Bill Baumbeck, he has excellent written instructions that he puts in the package with the inlay material.

Bob A

btboone

I've done it with crushed stone and medium thickness CA. Just mix together on a piece of cardboard or plastic with a toothpick and insert into the cut out section. You can either allow it to heap up over the pen and turn it back down or try to just fill the slots to flush.

guts

Mike,i have never used crushed stone but i have done it with acrylic paint,i use a toothpick and keep a damp soft cloth there to wipe off any excess paint,no more finish needed.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Mike, I am still experimenting as well, but I am using bright nail varnishes. Just thin layers with the brush till each one has dried, then sand flush and re-CA finish. My results are looking promising at the moment, but if anyone else has failed at this please let me know as I get funny looks when I buy the nail varnish.[:)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
There are several options. The first is to have your laser engraving color-filled. See Ken Nelsen's site for numerous examples.

Next is to inlay an embossing powder, available at many hobby shops. Ed Davidson (YoYoSpin) has a video in our library on how to do this.

The next is to make or purchase some fine or very fine crushed stone. Last time I looked, there were instructions at Arizona Silhouette's site. I've used this method successfully many times. I mostly use the very fine.

broitblat

If the pen is already assembled, you will have difficulty using crushed stone or anything else that would require you to sand/refinish. In this case, I've used acrylic paint and just wipe off the excess.

If it's not assembled, then you can use fine crushed stone or metal powder mixed with glue and then put it back on the lathe to clean up after it dries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom