Adding Logos and Names on pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigguyZ

I know I've seen examples where people have added names, and logos to the sides of the pens. I searched the forums and found how to do it by using labels and PR casting, but I'm talking about having a standard pen, but with additional lettering on the side. I wonder how that can be done?

I considered getting adhesive-backed logos/ etc, like the larger stuff you get for cars and windows... But I don't know if you'd be able to get it small enough for the side of a pen.

Any information/ suggestions?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

check out http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com for more info.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by BigguyZ
<br />I know I've seen examples where people have added names, and logos to the sides of the pens. I searched the forums and found how to do it by using labels and PR casting, but I'm talking about having a standard pen, but with additional lettering on the side. I wonder how that can be done?

I considered getting adhesive-backed logos/ etc, like the larger stuff you get for cars and windows... But I don't know if you'd be able to get it small enough for the side of a pen.

Any information/ suggestions?

Thanks!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Travis, unless you are extremely skilled, do it yourself looks poor compared to laser engraving. Ken Nelson's prices are extremely reasonable. BTW, laser equipment costs far more than $1,000.

IPD_Mrs

Let me tell you about Ken's prices. I was going to have a pen box engraved at a local trophy shop that does lazer engraving. Price $20. Checked out Ken's site he had the box and engraving for $15.20 and the box has the insert specific to the pen. Ken is more than reasonable!

BigguyZ

I'm not saying he's not reasonable. He definitely has good prices. I'm just wondering what other methods would be available. Like some sort of applique that you could apply onto the pen, or something like that? My brother wants me to make pens for his business, and cost would be a huge concern. Maybe I need to look into doing PR casting and try the label on the bare tube method...

neon007

the only way to do what you are talking about doing is you need to get a template made. Im sure a sign shop will to a bunch of tiny logos on some masking tape then you can stick them one dust them with paint, peel off template, and seal. As far as doing it all yourself. unless you are outstanding with a airbrush or a tiny paint brush I dont know any other way.

Call around to your local trophy shops and ask if they have a laser engraver. There is one near us that does names for less than $10...not sure what they'd charge for logos. Plus I can take them by & pick them up that day. Just be sure they KNOW how to do PENS--this particular shop does pens & boxes so we haven't had a problem-- only with them passing thru it enough times on burled or figured woods. We tried one closer to Mike's house & it was a bust, so we keep going back to the same place. As long as your brother gives a signed form to use his logo, a good trophy shop that is familiar with their machine can do it for you. Usually they have a $10-15 one time set up fee.

If you want to go the 'sticker' route, use a rub-on as it will stand up less than a decal or sticker- they leave a raised area, even after you add another finish. It'll still have some dimension, but not as much.

Good luck!

oh...and stickers on the bare tube can also present problems... I can't keep air bubbles out of mine, so I gave up. I know there are ways to prevent them- I just haven't taken the time to read up & start over. Seems to me, it had something to do with stirring or perhaps doing a vacuum on them.

gwilki

I've done a few, using clear casting. I turn the blank down to just bigger than the tube. I print the logo onto a label, then stick it onto the wood blank. Before I pour the casting, I paint a little of the casting resin over the label. It seems to prevent bubbles. So far, it has worked well, is not too pricey, and I can do it myself.

Firefyter-emt

You could do a dommed foil logo on the Americana kit finals. Hut sells them and will custom design the foil logo if you want to go that route. I am not a big fan of the clips, but the logos could be used on those as well.

Although, I would agree that Ken would be the best bang for the buck.

Texasbeachbum

I use this stuff and just print with my inkjet printer. It works fine if the logo doesn't have any white in it. Your inkjet won't print white[:D]

http://www.hyaz.com/inkjet%20rub%20on%20rub-on%20decal.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom