Addicition

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I have found that this pen stuff is becoming even more of an addiction than I thought it would be.
Not only am I addicted to making pen and using my fountain pens...
But I have also become addicted to searching out older classical fountain pens to use...
I am even starting to study how to repair them.. resacking, etc..
To those of you who collect things, you know that this can become a real expensive endeavor...;)
Today, I bought 2 NOS (new old stock) Pelikan GO pens... complete with factory boxes.. never inked.. not a high grade Pelikan, but overall a very nice pen to write with...
Plus I am looking at a Parker 75... the same FP that I was given as a high school graduation gift all those many years ago..
I hope this Christmas season at the market is good.. 'cause I still want my new camera too..[:p][:p]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Tom, I know exactly what you mean. I've found myself doing searches on FPs, looking at them on eBay, repairing and trying to repair others for customers, etc. [:0]

GregD

While I am truly addicted to pen turning, I've been learning to make segmented bowls. It's even worse an addiction than penturning. I eat, drink, sleep, and dream turning now. I can't go any place without seeing a design or wonder how many pens or bowls I could make out of a nice piece of wood that I come across.

Scott

I hear you, Tom!

A few years ago, somebody (Russ!) suggested if we were going to make and sell fountain pens, we should use them ourselves, and learn the practice and the language that goes along with them. You can't expect to sell a fountain pen to a fanatic if you can't speak the language!

I started by bidding on cheap old fountain pens on Ebay, and practicing with them. Then I switched to cheap commercial pens, mostly Sheaffers. The Namiki Vanishing Point was my first "good" pen, and I still enjoy it. I also have a Cross Townsend in gold, and a Parker Sonnet with an 18K nib. Then last week I received an early christmas gift from myself - a new Parker 100. This is definitely an addiction! (Huh, Anthony?)

I have been thinking lately that I should have paid more attention in penmanship class when I was young - yes, they still had penmanship then! Or that it would be neat to take a calligraphy class sometime. And I've been moaning and groaning about the lack of a store in our town that sells paper, ink and pens (fountain, of course!) I've also been tempted to try starting a pen fanatics club where I work. Sick, sick, sick! [:p]

And what do I intend to do about all this? Well, I'm still keeping my eye open for a good deal on a Pelikan Souveran m1000 in black! [8D]

I sure like the looks of that Parker 51 knock-off!

Scott.

Rifleman1776

Griz, if you are going to get serious about collecting old pens, check out http://www.jimgaston.com/
This site belongs to a local (Mountain Home, Arkansas) businessman.
As for writing with fountain pens, I won't even try. My handwriting has become worse and worse as the years go by. Would do a good fountain pen injustice.

PenWorks

Tom, you can find sacs and tools from Martin at the woodbin. They are definately some great old resins out there that can be refinished and make great writers.

I just sold a Bois de Rose Emperor I made last night to a gal who saw it on my desk before I got to put it in the showcase. She never wrote with a FP before, I think she got w*t, when I showed her how to use it and take it for a spin. Another one hooked [:p]

lkorn

Originally posted by Scott
<br />
A few years ago, somebody (Russ!) suggested if we were going to make and sell fountain pens, we should use them ourselves, and learn the practice and the language that goes along with them. You can't expect to sell a fountain pen to a fanatic if you can't speak the language!

I learned that lesson the first time I tried to sell an interested customer a FP. She asked if she could try one. Since I'm a Lefty, I was terrified of them, so I didn't have one prepared for use. Needless to say, I lost the sale. Now I won't leave the house without one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom