Actual Ivory???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I also see lots of massive mammoth tusks and sections for sale there too. I'm very tempted to see if I can pick up a 5-lb section or so and cut it up for blanks to re-sell.

As those pieces of Mammoth Ivory dry over time they will crack and delaminate. That's why the other supplier only has 1/4" thick pieces. They are the layers split from the fossilized tusk. You can take the 1/4" pieces and cut them into thin slices and glue them to a tube like Abalone blanks are done or glue small chips and flakes to a tube and cast them in dark resin. Look at the threads and posts by Alejanders, a Russian, that played a lot with the stuff.

To Smitty37.
For environmental and not racist reasons, I'll take the Elephants every time.

They should be vacuum stabilized like any other bone or ivory, I understand... :) This is another reason why I'm a great fan of always sealing my antler pens with a decent coat of CA.
OK -- which people should we start killing first? And should we go beyond sub-Saharan Africa? BTW if you have ever seen pictures taken after a family of elephants has gone through you might question the "environmental" reasons. Elephants need a lot of room because they make a real mess where ever they go.

Top Bottom