Acrylics in a hot shop?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

I know this is going to be a newbie question, but I wanted to get your take on this. Will the acrylic blanks I buy be ok when the temps start to rise? My garage is detached and does not have AC. When it gets super hot and I need to turn something I might just have to bring the mini lathe to the basement into the laundry room lol. Anyhow, will the acrylic blanks be ok when the temps get in the mid 80's - 90's? I am also here thinking about even my wax dipped blanks like Kingwood etc. Thanks in advance for your input.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I worry more about the cold and than the heat. If they are cold when you turn them they are more prone to shatter.

DurocShark

I often keep my pens in a hot car. Until the internal temps hit 150F they're fine. Over that temp, they'll start to take on the texture of whatever they happen to be laying on.

ToddMR

Todd,

They better work its going to be 83 when I get off work. And I gotta get 3 more done!!!:airplane:

I hear you! I just got a couple nice ones from exoticblanks yesterday and am wanting to go turn. Like my buddy told me if anything they might soften up some which would be ok with me.

MobilMan

Ohio-and Hot .. No such combination. Nice cool 83 deg. Our 112-115 deg. has no effect on the acrylic blanks. Altho I've never layed one out in the hot sun, my shop has seen over 100 lots of times.

ToddMR

Hot is hot thats for sure. Of course I would much rather have 83 and zero humidity too lol. Now I am just being picky.

Allenk

My shop temp goes over 120 quite a bit during the summer. It (acrylic) still turns just like always... but I get slower... :D

Top Bottom