Acrylic Thingo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pat Keefe

George, I wanted to test out how to deal with the large pod acrylic discs. I decided not to turn them, as I did not want the complications of mounting and remounting. So I decided just to hand sand 1 of them. I mounted my 150mm sanding disc on the lathe ways, via rare earth magnets and went from 120# abranet thru to 12000# micromesh, EEE &B Buffed. Still got to polish it with Meguires.

Attachments

• POD 01.jpg
    POD 01.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 265
  • PODS.jpg
    PODS.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:

robutacion

George, I wanted to test out how to deal with the large pod acrylic discs. I decided not to turn them, as I did not want the complications of mounting and remounting. So I decided just to hand sand 1 of them. I mounted my 150mm sanding disc on the lathe ways, via rare earth magnets and went from 120# abranet thru to 12000# micromesh, EEE &B Buffed. Still got to polish it with Meguires.

You know, using good double self tape works well for piece like that, if you don't have a face plate big enough, you can always screw a piece of board to a face plate and they use the tape or even hot glue, it works also.

Those an experimental cast I made with those pods and a large round container, 2 litres later and I had it covered but, even the reduced amount of catalyst on the Polyester resin I was using at the time, didn't prevent the stress cracks to appear here and there.

I cut them into slices in an attempt to salvage the resin used and make/incorporate them into something but, I never worked out what and that is the reason I listed them/make them available as gifts.

I don't thing that will only be one way to finish/used these, there are as many possibilities as brains out there, it may be challenging but some people don't mind that, huh...?:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom