Acrylic Melting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimbob91577

I warned someone about leaving their Acrylic pen in the car - that it might melt or get sticky - but someone then asked me, what is the melting point for the acrylic blanks?

Does anyone have a reasonable answer?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I know you are most likely not looking for info on Alumilite blanks but here it is anyway. Alumilite has a deformation temp of 150 degrees F. It does not melt but does begin to get soft at 150. I believe, but am not 100% sure, that regular PR's deformation temp is 135F.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Curtis,

Your information is accurate, I presume. However, once a brass tube is supporting a two inch piece, I believe this is all academic.

The pen can't "deform" as in bend, but it COULD crack. OF course, if the car is only 100 degrees for 6 hours, it COULD crack. AT 150 for two minutes, NO problem, for hours, again an issue.

In short, common sense SHOULD dictate to the owner of the pen. But, the site I linked will tell you all the different stretch and heat coefficients. Probably find Alumilite there, as well (by it's chemical name).

It WON'T tell you how a pen will react in a car.

DozerMite

Banned
I made a pen for my dad. He travels alot and keeps it in his truck at all temps. He hasn't had a problem with the blank getting soft, deforming, cracking or the like. The only thing he said was it leaked some ink once, but not since. I assume that was from it being the pressurized gel refill.

Fred

Have you ever measured the inside temperaturs of a black vehicle in the middle of summer (even white cars) .... It gets hot enough every year to cause serious brain damage or death to 1000's of kids AND pets that are left inside "just for a few minutes" ... and the problem happens whenever folks get distracted longer than planned on. 150 degrees plus is very common!

This type of individual should not be allowed to have children or helpless pets EVER.

Try driving around this summer and look at cars at the malls. See how many have a pet left in them. Even with the windows down a bit, the animals dehydrate in very short order and can die. Kids are usually remembered, but there is always some stupid individual that "forgets."

Yep, this post hit a nerve with me ... must have worked too many cases in my career where this happened and I had to investigate.

Oh yea, ink gets really thin and drains quite well when heated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom