Acrylic Finishing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cowchaser

Just turned my first acrylic. Now it's not the most beautiful job I have done, but figured I might as well finish it out. I was going to finish with MM (wet) and brasso then TSW. Sound good?

Also can I just cut my MM sheets in half and use them or do I need to buy special MM pads? Any help with finishing this is appreciated.

OKLAHOMAN

Dustin, I wet sand my acrylics with M&M, then brasso,then Mequires Plastic Polish,then if needed which is not very often mequires scratch remover and last TSW. I happen to use the M&M pads but you can wet sand with the sheets. Others use other methods but this works for me.

jedgerton

Dustin,

After sanding with 400 sandpaper (dry), I use the MM pads dry, all nine levels from 1500 to 12000. I find that inspecting after the 2400 MM step is crucial. If there are visible scratches at that point, they aren't coming out. I start over and have had to do so many times. The wet sanding that was mentioned is probably better, I just haven't tried it yet. I've got a lot to learn too but I have produced about 20 acrylic pens with glass like finishes using this method.

John

cowchaser

Hey Roy, just got it done. I couldn't find my brasso so I skipped that part since it is my first one and will go buy some. It actually didn't turn out to bad. I can see some scratches in it, but now I know next time what I need to do. Wow I think the acrylics are more addicting than wood. Finishs quick too. Geez you really sucked me in good to this one and I LIKE IT!!!

Now to find me a source for some acrylics until I get the nerve to try my own casting.

Also thanks for the info John. I can use all the help I can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom