acrylic finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

Ok going to try acrylics.

I have a pack of wet dry sand paper from alpha abrasives that goes up to 12,000 and a mix of HF and 3M that goes from 220 to 1500. So I think I've got the sanding taken care of.

What should I use after wet sanding?

The reason I ask is yes I've seen the videos but they always use either micro mesh or the finishing pads and I've read that 12,000 grit doesn't mean the same thing across the different sanding media.

For comparison my current wood finish is:

• BLO
  • 3 coats thin CA
  • 3 or so coats of medium
  • sand with 500 and a little higher until dull
  • add maybe 3 more coats of medium
  • sand to 3M 2,000
  • then use the brown and white hut bars.
  • maybe a coat of carnauba wax I've had laying around for years but not sure I like it. Its wax not meant to be handled.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptainJane

finishing acrylic

I may be overdoing it, but my acrylic finishes have been great.
Each grit is done with lathe running followed my longitudinal sanding with lathe stopped, until all radial scratches are gone - sometimes this takes a while - especially with the initial sandpaper grits

4 grits of strip sandpaper (to 600) - dry
3 grits Abranet mesh (to 600) - dry
7 grits micromesh - wet OR 6 grits color coordinated sanding pads - wet

One Step Plastic Polish - a couple of "coats"

Lately, for even more and deeper shine, I have started using a couple coats of Maguires 105 followed by a few of 205 - Spectacular!

If you have done any CA finishes, it is pretty much the same.

Good luck.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
FWIW - I don't do any dry sanding on acrylics. I generally wet sand with 400 & 600 abranet mesh (sometimes I have to start with 320, but rarely). Then I wet sand with mm sheets cut into strips from 1800 to 12000 (yes, I skip the 1500 grit).

I follow the mm sanding with Stick Fast satin & gloss CA polish.

When I have time, I put a second coat of gloss on the blank & let it sit overnight before buffing it off with a shop towel. That seems to add just a little more shine, but it could just be my imagination.

I use the exact same thing on my CA finishes.

YMMV

TonyL

See my signature line - that has been the most consistent for me. I don't want to list all of the other stuff I tried...it will look like a telephone directory :). I will note that I have seen the excellent finish that many achieve with the stuff that I failed at using. So, it must be me :)

Simsonicole

I am only relatively new at this but I lathe down to smooth and finish off with just the wet micro mesh and a coat of plastic polish...I get a glass finish every time with no problem at all. I like the mirror high gloss finish on my pens...both wood and acrylic.

Last edited:

keithbyrd

I sand dry with 400 - lathe speed 500 - longitudinal sanding
abranet 600 - lathe speed 1000 - longitudinal sanding
Micromesh wet with the first two pads (brown and green) lathe speed 3500
Polish with huts Ultra - lathe sped 3500
Ren wax - light light light coat - lathe speed 3500

Warren White

I don't have the experience others do....

...but here is my schedule.

1. I turn with a spindle gouge and finish with a skew used as a scraper. (I haven't mastered the skew well enough to get a good surface any other way.)
2. I dry sand with 320 with the lathe on; turn the lathe off and sand longitudinally. I find this last step very important, and consequently, I take the time to make sure this is done well.
3. Same with 400
4. I wet sand with MM through each of the grits (1500 to 12,000) with the lathe on.
5. I then remove the blank, leave it on the mandrel, and buff with Dick Gross's 2 wheel set.

I am completely satisfied with the results.

Top Bottom