Acrylic Bullets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jgrden

Jgrden

Well, if I am going to be a serious turner, I need to get criticism and some helpful advice. So i am going to post todays product of Baywood Gallery's pen works.
The Pine cone is going on top of a Ebony bottom. I used BLO and CA 3 sec. three times, Then 0000 steel wool and then hard wax.
The bullets were filled with Alumilite and the tops are Alumilite as well. Look at the tops carefully and give me advice.

Attachments

• Pens - 10-19-09 Pince Cone Tip Top.jpg
    Pens - 10-19-09 Pince Cone Tip Top.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 298
  • Pens - 10-19-09 Pine Cone Top.jpg
    Pens - 10-19-09 Pine Cone Top.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 262
  • Pens - 10-19-09 SSR Purple 2.jpg
    Pens - 10-19-09 SSR Purple 2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 350
  • Pens - 10-19-09 SSR Red-Red Flame.jpg
    Pens - 10-19-09 SSR Red-Red Flame.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 368
  • Pens - 10-19-09 SSR Yellow Yellow Flame.jpg
    Pens - 10-19-09 SSR Yellow Yellow Flame.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 327
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cnirenberg

I agree with Max. I like the red one. I like the flames on both the red and purple. Did you cast them or are they a label. Either way they are pretty cool.

Jgrden

I agree with Max. I like the red one. I like the flames on both the red and purple. Did you cast them or are they a label. Either way they are pretty cool.

They are label on the tube which is cast in alumilite and then turned down. One issue I keep coming up against is the tube turning inside the casting when it is being turned. I use a small butane torch to heat up the inside (brass tube) to make it expand against the casting to eliminate the air gaps. I am not sure it is worth the trouble.
Thank you for your comments, they are important to me.

Sberger

You went a little crazy turning bullet pens. They look really nice. Sounds like your bit is out of round. I had ordered two bits, at different times, from one of our popular vendors, and I was having the same problem. I looked closer at the bits while turning in the chuck and they were not true. Called the supplier and they sent new bits and I returned the bad ones. No charges. I think they got a bad batch of 7 mm bits. New ones worked great.

Steve

Jgrden

You went a little crazy turning bullet pens. They look really nice. Sounds like your bit is out of round. I had ordered two bits, at different times, from one of our popular vendors, and I was having the same problem. I looked closer at the bits while turning in the chuck and they were not true. Called the supplier and they sent new bits and I returned the bad ones. No charges. I think they got a bad batch of 7 mm bits. New ones worked great.

Steve

Thank you for that information. Mine are getting a little old.

el_d

John looks like there are air gaps in the yellow one and the red. Dont see the bubbles in the purple one.

I was having problems with the tube turning in the casting also, turns out I was turning too soon and the heat from the casting was melting the glue on the labels. I waited till the next day to turn, squared the ends and applied thin CAto the fresh cut ends to help hold the label to the tube. Worked fine.

Like the flames by the way.....and what you did with the casings, pretty cool.

Jgrden

John looks like there are air gaps in the yellow one and the red. Dont see the bubbles in the purple one.

I was having problems with the tube turning in the casting also, turns out I was turning too soon and the heat from the casting was melting the glue on the labels. I waited till the next day to turn, squared the ends and applied thin CAto the fresh cut ends to help hold the label to the tube. Worked fine.

Like the flames by the way.....and what you did with the casings, pretty cool.

Good. thank you. I did try putting the CA glue on the ends, and it DID help. You confirmed my suspicions.

TurnCrazy

I really like your pens. I like the purple and red ones the best, I don't really like the center band in the yellow one but that's just my opinion.

maxman400

.[/quote]

John I had the same issue, and I too was turning too soon. I now force myself (and it is hard) to wait at least 48 hours. I think what is happening is that the Alumilite is to soft and it it flexing and twisting on the tubes and it separates.

Jgrden

John I had the same issue, and I too was turning too soon. I now force myself (and it is hard) to wait at least 48 hours. I think what is happening is that the Alumilite is to soft and it it flexing and twisting on the tubes and it separates.[/quote]
Good point.

Top Bottom