Acrylic blank chipping

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rbelafsky

I am new to pen turning. I am having trouble keeping the bushing ends of acrylic blanks from superficial chipping. All input and recommendations appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RKB

Hi, Acrylic blanks can be tricky and they certainly are not equal when turning them, each type has it's own little nuance. This site has a lot of good information that you can 'search' to help you with your learning curve. As a carbide tool user what I like to do is, Use a new insert on the more high end blanks, touch up the cutters before use on the more standard blanks, make sure my tool is kept level and cutting at center +, I like to switch my orientation of the blank on the lathe during the shaping because I seem to pull/push to one side sometimes, abrasive paper can be your friend when getting close, and the last thing is speed, I like to turn them fast. Good luck with your new hobby.

Rod

KenB259

The thing that works the best for me is a shearing cut with a carbide cutter. I rotate the cutter about 30 degrees and ride the bevel. I prefer the 2 inch radius square cutter. I absolutely hate the square cutters with no radius.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I like to knock off the sharp corners on square blanks before turning on the lathe, by rubbing them on my belt sander first. Much less chipping.
If you have no belt sander, you can wrap 80 grit paper around a wood block, and sand the corners off on the lathe.

qquake

It would be helpful to know which type of blanks you're turning specifically (acrylic acetate, inlace acrylester, etc.), which type of chisel (HSS gouge, carbide, etc.), and what lathe speed you're turning at.

RichAldrich

Ken's comment from above is great. Think shear cut with Carbide or HSS. I slow down to make the blank round. I use a spindle roughing gauge to gently take the corners off. Once round then speed up.

howsitwork

If in doubt and struggling SAND IT .

Shear cutting scraping is a good idea in most situations too as you get a much better cut and finish that way

turnit2020

If your carbide tool will accept the Easywood negative rake cutters that will be really helpful for turning acrylic blanks. The R2NR cutters are available at some outlets. Woodcraft sells them. Don't know if they will fit your tool.
Turncrazy43

Top Bottom