Acrylic acetate Purchase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

joeatact

I would like to try to do some casting with Acrylic acetate and saw a link to a supplier here once but cannot find it again. Can some one direct me to the link where I can buy a gallon please.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

I agree with all of the above regarding PR. Back to the original question though, is there Acrylic Acetate available? I would be very interested in the response.

Fangar

vick

I held out on this since I do not really know what I am talking about, but since no one else has jumped in. Acrylic Acetate as far as I know is not a name commonly used for any plastics. If you go by the name it is probably a thermoplastic (acrylic) mixed with either an acid or wood fiber (acetate). Cellulose accetate is used in some high end pens but I believe it has to cure for several years so I doubt this is the same stuff. Either way the odds are that it is a heat set plastic and not something that you with can mix with a hardner to cast.

Take this with a grain of salt I do not work in any kind of related field to this, but I have done some basic research in the past. If you see soemthing that you think is wrong please correct me.

hilltopper46

In digging around on the web I found that Acrylic Acetate needs heat AND pressure to set. I saw the word 'autoclave' mentioned a few times.

http://www.svam.org/Library/3_15_01_ezine/beasly_tech.html

and a quote from http://users.lmi.net/drewid/resin_faq.html

'There are a few types of resin available for casting: acrylics, polyesters, urethanes, and epoxies are the materials most used by artists. To work with acrylics requires some equipment. Casting acrylic 'water-clear' means subjecting the polymer/monomer "dough" to high pressure and high temperature in an autoclave, using special molds. I know a company that has spent 4 years and untold thousands of dollars just trying to develop a reliable acrylic casting technique. Because of this, and the fact that uncured acrylic is highly toxic, most artists should avoid using it and it will not be covered here. Instead, we will concentrate on those resins easily cast in standard molds; the pourable resins that set at room temperature.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom