Accelerator slowdown......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MatthewZS

So as we all know there are two sorts of accelerator..... the liquid with a manual pump style spritzer and the aerosol kind. The Aerosol kind works like a charm for me. The Pump style however seems to ALWAYS cause frosting/crystaling on my work. No matter how careful I am. Does it have something to do with how fine the mist is? Anyone else observe this and maybe have a solution? One of those fancy atomizers? An airbrush?

I wouldn't care except the aerosol stuff is spendy compared to the other.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yorkie

I've only used the pump kind and what I do is spray it in front of the piece about 6 inches away from it going across it rather than at it, with the dust collector on and just let it pull it onto the pen. I haven't had any problems by doing this method.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
So as we all know there are two sorts of accelerator..... the liquid with a manual pump style spritzer and the aerosol kind. The Aerosol kind works like a charm for me. The Pump style however seems to ALWAYS cause frosting/crystaling on my work. No matter how careful I am. Does it have something to do with how fine the mist is? Anyone else observe this and maybe have a solution? One of those fancy atomizers? An airbrush?

Thanks.
A lot of people, myself includes prefer a spray over a pump for various reasons. Since I only sell the pump and refill style accelerator, I tries a refillable spray can from Harbor Freight that you can put a liquid in, pressurize it with your air compressor or even bicycle pump and have a pressurizes aerosol spray can. These worked sorta OK but the seals didn't hold up to the accelerator very well plus HF no longer sell them. I did some searching and found what I believe to be a better refillable aerosol can which you can also buy repair kits and replace the o-rings and seals when they go bad. Check out my thread http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73725 for more info.

ctubbs

No air brush but I have two of Monty's on the way. He has never sold me a bad product and has done his research on this one. When it arrives, it will get a workout and review. The spray bottle tends to deliver a mixed spray pattern from mist to small droplets. If a droplet lands on a puddle of CA, then fuming and blistering occur. Not good.
Charles

Sylvanite

It may not be the delivery system. There are different formulations of CA accelerator, and you might not be getting the same kind in each bottle. I use the pump bottles (E-Z Bond, the brand Mannie sells) of both mild and regular accelerator. Mild causes the glue to foam; regular does not.

That said, I usually do not spray accelerator directly on the blank. I spray it above the blank and let the mist settle down onto it - typically with the lathe spinning.

Regards,
Eric

Rangertrek

I had the same problem with the pump method and have switched to the spray can. Bettter results for me overall. I am going to check on the pump up device mentioned by Monty, as I have a small bottle of pump refill on hand.

MatthewZS

I usually do my accelerating with the lathe running, and I spray just above the piece tho I've tried variations. I've thought about just jumping on amazon and buying one of those REALLY high quality atomizers.

Fred

I never use the accelerator as I seem to always give the CA the 5 seconds to cure while I bend over and search the shaving pile on the floor for the blasted red cap that goes on the CA bottle. Even if I use the 30 second CA it still has time to set since I have yet to find that cap in less than 45 seconds or longer.

I have recently obtained several of Mannie's 2 oz bottles and the long nosed caps. No more lost itsie bitsy little ones for me now as these caps are black and MUCH bigger, therefore harder to lose ... so far this theory is working ... and my back it liking it as well!

ctubbs

Fred, you are lucky if you only find the tiny red cap. When I finally do find that little umm, thing, I have to spend the nest two minutes digging out the shavings that suddenly glued themselves inside and to the lid.
Charles

rherrell

Am I the only one who puts in on BEFORE the CA? I spray some on a piece of paper towel and wipe down the blank BEFORE I apply my CA. It works GREAT and it doesn't do any of that nasty stuff that happens when you spray a little too much.
If you try this method, use compressed air to blow away any paper towel lint after you apply it.:wink:

lorbay

Thanks.
I use the pump style from KMS Tools and it works fine for me, the only time I get the frosting is when the CA is too thick and or if the lathe is stopped.
Got one of those spray cans coming from Monty.:biggrin:

Lin.

Top Bottom