Accelerator Replacement

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Breathe on it. There is enough moisture content in your exhaled breath to accelerate the process. If you smoke, STOP! But until then, smoke from a cigarette also contains a fair amount of moisture. It's is the hydroxyl ions that cause CA to cure.

marcruby

This is an interesting little tidbit from the Wikipedia --

"Thin CA glue is also used as a wood finish, particularly among woodturners. Its fast drying time and glossy finish make it ideal for small applications which generally look best when glossy (such as pens), although it is messy and somewhat expensive. A common mistake made by novice users is to use an accelerator, which can cloud and thus ruin the finish."

I thought the whole operation of penmaking was messy and somewhat expensive.

Skye

You can try your wife's nail polish remover if it's a mixture of %5 perfume and 95% acetone. I've heard it works just like accelerator.

Skye

Actually Skye, nail polish remover works as a solvent or debonder for CA.

It's an oddity, I know, but check it out:

http://www.ca-plus.com/ca_acc_dec.html

Accelerators: Speed the cure of cyanoacrylates and cure any liquid adhesive outside of the joint.
Primers: Using primers on hard to bond plastics, will increase the bond strength.
Debonder: Use to remove cured cyanoacrylate adhesive.

Product: Aerosol Acetone Accelerator (10 oz)
Base: Acetone
Unknown: color: Clear
Viscosity (cps): 3
Application: All Cyanoacrylates

Product: Debonder
Base: Nitromethane
Unknown: color: Clear/amber
Viscosity (cps): 3
Application: Adhesive Remover

It's defiantly worth a try considering what accelerator costs.

Skye

Spritz of water will haze the glue. Some people have had a lot of success using legit accelerators on the finish and it still look totally clear.

If you don't care about a white haze, then you can use a spritz of water.

btboone

I've found that CA with the accelerator made for it does often cloud the surface because of the efficient chemical reaction and the vast amount of heat generated. It actually boils the plastic. I also found that by mismatching the brands of CA and accelerator, we don't get nearly as much clouding. I'm having particular success with Stick Fast CA and NCF Quick aerosol accelerator. It seems to work well in both thin and medium.

Top Bottom