? about microwave drying blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read some articles both on this site and elsewhere and I am gonna give microwave drying a try.

My question is if there would be any advantage/disadvantage to drilling a small diameter hole in the pen blanks first.

I realize that a full size hole might change shape and no longer accept the brass tube.

but what about a smaller hole ?

I appreciate the help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

The mic is going to dry the wood from the inside. You just run it for a short period of time---take it out let them cool and repeat until the wood is dry---usually no steam or they are not getting any lighter

Dario

If you don't mind going through the extra step...pre-drilling sure will help. I've done that on some that I needed right away.

Do consider that some wood move more than others. Re-drilling later can be catastrophic also if you don't hold the pre-drilled wood with a vise well, the new bigger bit can snag the blank and damage it. Sometimes causing a blowout. DAMHIKT. [:I]

OKLAHOMAN

I also use the microwave for drying, put the blank in a plastic baggie in the micro for approx 15 sec. on low, take out and baggie will have moisture, let sit for 4-5 min. and keep repeating until no moisture in baggie. (wipe moisture off inside of baggie after each step). Seems to work for me.

oldsmokey

moisture leaves the wood through the end grain. drilling a hole will not help much. If you are drying pen blanks that are cut cross grain they will dry faster. I have dried bowls with the microwave. I have a scale. I weigh the bowl first, then put it in the microwave. I usually start with about 30 seconds, but that depends on the size of the bowl. I then wiegh the bowl again. I repeat this until the bowl weight becomes constant. As said before, be careful not to get the wood hot.
Good luck

Rifleman1776

I have dried a lot of pen blanks in the microwave. I put them on a paper plate and stack in such a manner as to leave a lot of space between to let hot air out. My method is not scientific at all. I just zap for a minute, let rest about 30 seconds, zap again, repeat until they are good and hot. Never had problems with splitting.

Dario

Originally posted by oldsmokey
<br />moisture leaves the wood through the end grain. drilling a hole will not help much. If you are drying pen blanks that are cut cross grain they will dry faster. I have dried bowls with the microwave. I have a scale. I weigh the bowl first, then put it in the microwave. I usually start with about 30 seconds, but that depends on the size of the bowl. I then wiegh the bowl again. I repeat this until the bowl weight becomes constant. As said before, be careful not to get the wood hot.
Good luck

Though there is truth in this, not entirely so I disagree.

While it is true that moisture evaporate more on the end grain...they also evaporate on the sides. On pen blanks that are much longer than their width (and as thin as they are), most moisture will actually evaporate through the sides....especially if you pre-drill a hole (basically cutting the thickness by less than half).

MC "excites" the water molecule and they expand out...leaving (close to) even/uniform moisture inside and out (the wood) that is why it is very effective in preventing cracking/checking. The excess will evaporate out...side or end.

If you stand a freshly Microwaved, pre-drilled blank on a non-permeable surface (plate for example)...you will see a moisture mark when you take the blank off....most of it will be on the center where the hole is. Want to guess where those water came from? Most of it actually escaped upwards but just to point it out. You can also feel it (steam) radiating out the hole if you want to try and cover them with your fingers. [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom