abject failure

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

well, the experiment I was working on was a failure in the casting phase.

The mold would't release the blank and the filler pulled the tube out of the blank. So I'll have to rethink the casting method before I try again. It was promising, but not a success.

I was trying something knew mold wise and didn't work as planned.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Nope, can't glue the tube back in without destroying the work.

It was a resin, but not Silmar, and the mold was Delrin.

Admitted, just about everything except the tube on this was experimental.

Russianwolf

yeah I was hoping to have nice round blanks out of the mold. And since I will eventually be switching to alumilite (odor issues), wasn't sure about the PVC working well.

Is anyone successfully using alumlite in a pvc mold? if so, what release are you using?

For now, I think I'll get a cutting board to hack up and make the mold from. Then to remake the blank.......

snyiper

Could you use solder on the tube to put some little **** or barbs on to give the material something to hold onto?

Russianwolf

Could you use solder on the tube to put some little **** or barbs on to give the material something to hold onto?

In this case, I don't think it would have helped.

Part of the failure was I used a 3 inch long piece of delrin turned to the ID of the tube as the filler. My idea being, put it in place and cast, then slide it right out. well the delrin had such a strong hold after casting (not sure if any resin got in there or not yet) that I'm having to use pliers to remove the tube from the delrin shaft. It was a nice snug fit to begin with, but no pliers were needed.

workinforwood

I have no idea what you are making. Far as the Alumilite question, I do not and have not ever cast alumilite in PVC. I see no reasons why you can't though, and they do sell a mold release at Alumilite. Another option is to purchase thin clear round tubes in which case you do not even have to remove the tubes, just spin them off with the pen. I know you can get the thin clear tubes in 3-4 foot lengths really cheap..that's what Gary does for his carbon fiber pens.

Russianwolf

I have no idea what you are making. Far as the Alumilite question, I do not and have not ever cast alumilite in PVC. I see no reasons why you can't though, and they do sell a mold release at Alumilite. Another option is to purchase thin clear round tubes in which case you do not even have to remove the tubes, just spin them off with the pen. I know you can get the thin clear tubes in 3-4 foot lengths really cheap..that's what Gary does for his carbon fiber pens.

hmmmmmm...... nice idea........

Top Bottom