Aaaarghh!! Wrong bushing - crippled pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skordog

:(
Just finished up a Flat-top American with some nice russian olive wood. As I was putting the cap and clip on I came to the realization that I had used the wrong size bushing. The top end of the pen is smaller than the cap.

There goes a $6.00 pen. Oh well, it's not completely horrible but it ain't quite right. I guess I'll give it away to whoever wants it.

Don't suppose any of you know of a magic way to add wood shavings back onto a pen to increase its diameter do you? :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Another thing you might try but without seeing the pen it's hard to tell if it might work.
You could get a Euro clip and turn a custom finial.The screws for the studs are a metric size 4 or 6(I think).
The tapped hole in the part that goes in the top blank is a tapered thread but can be retapped.
That kit uses an 8 mm tube if it's like the Woodcraft kits.You can use the existing top.
If this doesn't make sense Send me an e-mail with your phone # and I can explain it better.

Skordog

I probably should just order a few extra tubes, or pick them up at Woodcraft if they have any and redo the wood so that I can reuse the pen parts. Shouldn't be too difficult to take this one apart. It's just frustrating to make silly mistakes like that. Oh, well, next time I'll be more careful.

jdavis

I agree with Randy about mistakes making nice pens. I would be in trouble if we did not do alot of improvising with all the student mistakes I deal with daily. Alot of different wood combinations are made that were not intended to be. We all have experienced a mistake at some time. Just improvise and keep turning.

GregD

Originally posted by Randy.
<br />Sometimes "mistakes" make the nicest looking pens!! If it is possible, I would vote for a contrasting "laminate."

If this is the case, all my pens are great!!!

I thought I was the only one that used the wrong bushings.

Skordog

Ok, here's the pen that is slightly off:

2005380527_flawed%20flattop2.jpg

The gap between the wood and the clip ring is more noticeable in person.

Here is the other flattop that came out the way I wanted. I used a piece of maple burl that I cut up. Stunning in the sunlight!

2005380653_Maple%20Burl%20Flattop2.jpg

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom