A WISET1 Inspired' Scalloped Jr Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from islandturner

islandturner

After being wowed by Tim's trio of scalloped pens, I had a try.

This is the most finicky segmenting I've ever tried. It doesn't compare to Tim's -- the scalloped bits are not as big. I guess you have to use pen hardware with a max diameter for max effect from this type of segmenting. Each barrel came apart during drilling, but without shattering so it was repairable. If I try one again, it'll be for a bigger diameter pen, and I'll build some jigs for the gluing. It was slow, tedious work...

Truly a humbling experience, but thanks for the inspiration, Tim.

6663465873_a244b7748d_b.jpg

6663465691_8ee5731421_b.jpg

6663466427_40b1afd207.jpg

This is another I did to practice the long segmenting. The internal slice is amboyna -- the outers, blackwood.

6663466293_130f9e34d8_b.jpg

6663466093_35be21f3cc_b.jpg

6663465981_8cf02e236a_b.jpg

Thanks for looking
Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mapster

That is great. Very classy. What is the white used in the segmenting? By the way, next time a little reverse paint, the only critique I can come up with. Well done!

wiset1

Steve,

These look great! I don't know that I've inspired people as much as given people headaches from these pens :biggrin: I'm happy to see that others are doing this, but it can drive you a little mad. Just FYI...the larger scale pens have larger drill bits so there's more grabbing onto those segments :redface: So be ready for that

Well, they look great and the best part is that you tried something new that will push you further in turning and allow you to help others when they ask the question...how do you do that?

Can't wait to see what you turn next

islandturner

Thanks for all your kind comments.

Mapster, I agree 100% re the tube -- I knew the minute after the glue had dried, that the tube should have been painted white. :frown: You can see the metal clearly through it. I don't know what the blank is called -- I had a short piece of mostly white PR with a bit of opaque white swirling through it. If the tube had been painted, it would have looked better.

StephenM -- re having the sections line up, I assembled the 'nib end' section first. Then before assembling the cap, screwed the threaded section on to the pen and made a tiny felt pen mark opposite one of the segment joints. Then pressed that piece onto the cap barrel so it was aligned. But after all that, it turns out there are double threads on this Jr Gent cap, so you have 50/50 odds of it aligning when the cap is screwed on. :rolleyes: I have not yet checked the cap from a larger hardware kit to see if they're all that way.

Two more criticism of my own pen, (1), the scalloping would look considerably better on a pen where the barrels are the same (or close to) the same size at the centerband. These Jr Gent barrels make for different size scalloped sections after turning. And (2), I think it would look better with a bit thicker aluminum. For this pen, I was using the aluminum from a beer can, and it's about the thickness of newspaper.

Thanks again
Steve

BigShed

Steve, a very nice effort. Although you aren't 100% happy with your result, it has resulted in you learning what to do better on your next one. Everything we do adds to our technique.

Love your photography as well.

Top Bottom