A very big ask ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wobblybootie

Hi folks,

I have a very big ask for your consideration.

I have aquired a block of wood from which I intend to produce pens ... Nothing out of the ordinary there, I hear you say.

Okay, I would like to have the blanks stabilised using the TurnTex Cactus Juice vacum method. I do not posess the equipment to do this myself, nor do I have the funds (at this time) available to buy, ship and import to the UK, the kit needed.

Would someone be willing to do this for me providing I cover ALL costs.

Now, why would I want to go to all this trouble? Especially when I tell you that the wood block, from which I will cut the blanks is a very nondescript looking piece of English Oak. Because of it's proven provenance is why. It is part of H.M.S Victory, Admiral Lord Nelson's Flagship during the Battle of Trafalgar 21/10/1805. HMS Victory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As a former Royal Marine I guess my pleasure in owning the wood may be greater than most, but I am trying to make the pens I produce as long lasting as I can. I am able to issue with each pen a certificate of authenticy proving the provenence of the wood.

I would be most grateful if someone was able to assist me.

Thank You

Tim Grenville-Cleave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This is, obviously, one of a kind wood!!

Make certain anyone who stabilizes it, has experience with stablilizing. I would send along a few pieces of English Oak with NO provenance for practice. (With nearly the same moisture meter reading!!)

Just a suggestion,

Ed

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator

Make certain anyone who stabilizes it, has experience with stablilizing. I would send along a few pieces of English Oak with NO provenance for practice. (With nearly the same moisture meter reading!!)

Just a suggestion,

Ed
Take Ed's advise. In my experience with oak, it doesn't table Cactus Juice very well. I dyed/stabilized some oak and the dye penitration was not very good despite the MC was less than 1% and it set in the juice over night before curing.

wobblybootie

Just a suggestion,

Ed
Take Ed's advise. In my experience with oak, it doesn't table Cactus Juice very well. I dyed/stabilized some oak and the dye penitration was not very good despite the MC was less than 1% and it set in the juice over night before curing.

Okay, that's something I didn't realise, I am not dying anything but I assumed :rolleyes:(First mistake) that even decent wood (not 'punky') would still have a reasonable take up of Juice ... maybe I should just stick to 'normal' methods of turning and finishing ...

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
If the wood is not 'punky' and is in good shape, I'd think that a good CA finish would be better than risking the loss of irreplaceable wood in the mail.

Coupled with the fact that dense hard woods don't like/need stabilizing, and I think you might want to try a non-stabilized pen first and see how it turns out.

Top Bottom