A thought (but perhaps too subtle) becomes...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Warren White

Warren White

... a new pen!

This is something I have never tried before, but it seems to have worked out OK. I took a Red Bull can (not a plug, since I never drink the stuff) and cut a 3/4" wide strip out of the aluminum. I cut my blank all the way through at ~40 degrees. I then epoxied the aluminum to the blank and clamped it in place.

The end result is pretty, but perhaps too subtle. Anyone know of a thicker aluminum can?

Your thoughts, comments and critiques are always most welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 416
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

Gordon and Ken,

I appreciate the insight you have offered. I wonder if you have any inside information you would share regarding drilling the blank with the heavier flashing inside. Wha kind of drill do you suggest?

Incidentally Gordon, the P51 is an amazingly beautiful aircraft. Did you get to fly one of them?

magpens

You'd be a lifetime using up a whole roll of aluminum flashing from Lowe's.

I just go to a metals store or a machine shop and nicely ask if they could please give me some sheet aluminum scraps ! :):biggrin::)

They ask me what thickness, and then are happy to oblige me !

Last edited:

SteveAxelrod

I purchased a package of 4" x 10" x 0.016" sheets of aluminum (2 per pkg) at Ace Hardware for under $5. You can see how I used it in a segmented pen in my 5/27 post entitled "Segmented Pen and Custom Pins". Try the Hobby Lobby at 7050 Amador Plaza Rd, Dublin or Ace Hardware at 5505 Sunol Blvd, Pleasanton. Hobby Lobby carries the same K&S aluminum sheets for $3.49. I used a HSS acrylic drill bit but a normal drill bit should work fine to drill your blanks.

Last edited:

flyitfast

I appreciate the insight you have offered. I wonder if you have any inside information you would share regarding drilling the blank with the heavier flashing inside. Wha kind of drill do you suggest?

Incidentally Gordon, the P51 is an amazingly beautiful aircraft. Did you get to fly one of them?

Drilling any metal laminate really needs to be done with a standard drill. Definitely don't use a brad point as the outer flutes/cutters will tear up the material. Don't drill too fast either.

I wish I could have flown in a Mustang, even as a passenger. It will always be a fantasy!!:worship: Just a lover of beautiful aircraft.

Warren White

Try the Hobby Lobby at 7050 Amador Plaza Rd, Dublin or Ace Hardware at 5505 Sunol Blvd, Pleasanton. Hobby Lobby carries the same K&S aluminum sheets for $3.49. I used a HSS acrylic drill bit but a normal drill bit should work fine to drill your blanks.

Thanks for the idea, Steve. I went to Hobby Lobby and purchased two different metal items in their jewelry section. The picture below is a pen made with the thicker of the two pieces. A friend suggested doing the pen with two inserts. I like the result and will do more!

My thanks to all regarding drilling, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0443.jpg
    IMG_0443.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 156

Warren White

Good morning Brian,

The finish is CA. 2 - 3 coats of thin; 6 - 9 coats of medium; sanded with 400 grit to check for low spots; through all of the micro mesh grits to 12000; then buffed on a two-wheel system.

Thank you for looking!

Best wishes,
Warren

Top Bottom