A small turning tool gloat going on here...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fay Prozora

Last week I got the bead cutting chisels and they are in 4 sizes and that will be interesting to play around with and today I got the spindle master. I will have some fun with that. It is a Robert Sorby and it came with the instructions for use and sharpening. I have not mastered the skew chisel as yet but will keep at it but the spindle master might help me get better with the shaping and all. Not that I was bad at it but the skew is pretty difficult for me to learn and I have tried it quite a number of times. I hope this will be of help and I won't give up on the skew. I've seen some great results that people are getting with it, but I'm not getting any thing but catches... Enjoy. Fay

Attachments

• Bead cutters and spindle master (640x480).jpg
    Bead cutters and spindle master (640x480).jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 287
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cmiles1985

The spindle master is a nice tool. I've got the tiny version (probably the only thing Sorby I can afford!). Congrats on the other tools too!

As for the skew, it takes some time. SHARP is the key. Not sorta sharp, not kinda sharp, but down right scary sharp. Make very light cuts, and stay in "the zone." I watched many a YouTube video and read quite a few articles on skew use before I could make anything with it.

wyone

Skew.. Sharp.. and sharp and REALLY sharp is the only way I learned to use one. I had nothing but issues until I got the wolverine jig and learned to sharpen and hone my skew. Made such a huge difference.

I have looked at the spindle master, but not purchased one. I actually have a set of 7 sorby tools, but I bought them used from a private party for basically the cost of one tool. So I consider myself lucky

scotian12

When I started pen turning 14 years ago I used a spindle master for 2 years and it was great....no skew dig ins. I went for several lessons with experienced turners to learn how to use a skew but I still had problems. My last instructor helped me to get over the fear of using the skew. He ground down the heel into a half moomshape and that is what I have been using since. I use it in the scraping mode but it still gets the job done. Darrell

Fay Prozora

I think my skew chisels are flat edges on the blade part but one of the skews is the oval one and the other one is flat. It was a set of 2. I hope I get good results with the spindle master. It is a half inch. I can practice on some scrap wood and the bead cutters too. That should be interesting to try out. I have watched a lot of videos on all of these tools and how to use the skew and they make it all look so easy. Thanks for all the comments. Fay

Fay Prozora

I need more practice with the bead cutters and I did use the indie master and I think I will do pretty good with that. I practiced on some scrap wood and like the effects I'm getting with it. More practice with the cutters tho. Fay

Top Bottom