A real nut job...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Steve Busey

Steve Busey

The lathe's been busted for about a week & a half, and I caught a cold in the interim, so didn't feel like creating too much sawdust after getting the lathe back together.

So I took some old pen blank cutoffs, rounded them off, gave them a spit shine, and glued them into acorn shells. A little dusty, but you get the gist...

385786_310057862341954_100000132280792_1389786_277273545_n.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I think necklaces - on like leather strips? They are really beautiful! Can you give me some perspective of the size? I've seen acorns vary greatly in size from species

jaywood1207

They look great. I did these last year and put a tiny eye hook in the top and put gold string through them and put them in my show. Sold out in a hurry and wish I had done more. I only used wood for mine because they were larger than most of my acrylic cutoffs.

Steve Busey

I think necklaces - on like leather strips? They are really beautiful! Can you give me some perspective of the size? I've seen acorns vary greatly in size from species

I picked up shells from 3 different trees, with three different sizes. These "nuts" only fit the biggest shells, maybe 3/4" diameter. I either need to get some more big shells, or turn some smaller nuts.

jaywood1207

I did these last year and put a tiny eye hook in the top and put gold string through them and put them in my show. Sold out in a hurry and wish I had done more.

Thanks, might try the necklace idea. I'm curious tho, what price did you use to "sell out in a hurry"?

They were actually for hanging on Christmas trees and not as a necklace. Sorry I didn't specify that. I did $3 each or 4 for $10 and only went in with about 50 because I had no idea how well they would do. It was a 2 day show and there were only about 10 left for the second day. Not a huge money maker but enough to cover most of the booth. I chucked up the wood which was slightly larger than a pen blank (about 1" square 6" long) and would get about 5 out of each blank. Used purpleheart, paduak, cherry, walnut, and maple. Each one has to be turned to fit a particular acorn cap then I CA the cap on. Put the eye hooks in, hang them on a dowel with Christmas tree hooks and shoot them with poly. Once dried took the hooks off and put the string on them.

Timbo

I did a bunch of these a few years back. I just gave them all out to family. Cocobolo, cross cut Zebrawood and Padauk were the biggest hits. We have plenty of Oak trees around here but they didn't have decent sized caps...Ebay to the rescue. Yes...people sell acorns on eBay!

nava1uni

They are very cool. I love using the little left over pieces to make things. I might have to try this. I use the end to make bookmarks and little bowls, vases and hollow forms. I make the tools to do them out of concrete nails.

SDB777

This is a great idea, now I need to go to the woods and find some acorn 'tops'....better then just building a bucket full of cut-offs and burning them!

Scott (thanks for something else to do) B

Top Bottom