a question to ponder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

about a month ago I sold a couple pens on my site. The person emailed me a couple days later irate that they hadn't arrived yet (holiday weekend). Once they arrived they emailed me again asking to return as they didn't like them. I, of course, said yes as that's my policy and gave them the addressing in case they tossed the packaging. Haven't heard or seen anything since.:confused:

So, should I contact them and ask if they are returning the pens, or just sit hear and keep my trap shut?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Email and ask for the tracking number since you haven't received them. I can almost smell a dispute coming. Good luck. Modify your policy to return within a certain time period.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Are they paid for?

If yes, the burden is on them.

IF you send an email, I would phrase it as "We will accept returns for full refund within 30 days of purchase. Since that date has passed, we surmise that you have decided to keep the pens you purchased. " (Words to that effect)

babyblues

I'd be willing to bet that if you haven't refunded their money, you won't hear from them again. I doubt they had any intention of ever sending the pen back.

Russianwolf

They are paid for, and I will not refund until they are received as I have on my site the policy which states

I offer a full refund/replacement during the first 30 days as long as the purchase is returned in original condition, no hassles. Please contact me to get authorization.

After 30 days, if the purchase is found to be defective, I will repair or replace (at my discretion) the purchase. Defects do not include characteristics of the natural materials that are naturally forming (bark incursions, voids, etc.) , and can not be the result of abuse.

I will not accept returns for consumables (inks, refills, leads, etc.) as these items will be used in the normal operation of the purchase. Replacements can be found at any Stationary store.

I like that Ed, and will likely use something very similar shortly.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mike,

Choose words carefully.

Do NOT say, we ASSUME you have.....
nearly everyone has heard that punchline.

"We surmise" has far fewer connotations.

FWIW

Longfellow

Silence is Golden

about a month ago I sold a couple pens on my site. The person emailed me a couple days later irate that they hadn't arrived yet (holiday weekend). Once they arrived they emailed me again asking to return as they didn't like them. I, of course, said yes as that's my policy and gave them the addressing in case they tossed the packaging. Haven't heard or seen anything since.:confused:

So, should I contact them and ask if they are returning the pens, or just sit hear and keep my trap shut?

Silence is Golden--No News is good news- It is better to remain silent and so on

Spats139

My first thought was to send them another email so that you wouldn't have the issue hanging over your head; you would also be able to show that you took the initiative to follow up to see if the customer was having a problem. But then on second thought, you've already done that - you agreed to the return, and you already sent them your address again.

I would say that the responsibility rests with the customer at this point, if they don't act in a timely manner, that's their issue and not yours. In the mean time, I'm sure they have a couple of very nice pens.

Bottom line is you should whatever you feel is right for you. If you would be more comfortable emailing them then do so; if you are happy leaving it up to them to initiate any further contact, then that's the way to go.

jkeithrussell

Mike,

Choose words carefully.

FWIW

Surmise actually means almost the same thing as assume, only the word is defined to mean more of a conjecture. It means that you are guessing or reaching a conclusion based on only a little evidence. What you are trying to say here is that your policy expires after a period of time. It doesn't matter why. Just say that you accept refunds up to 30 days, but not after. More than 30 days have passed, so the policy no longer applies. That's it.

Saying "we assume" or "we surmise," or whatever, only invites a challenged response.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
You authorized a return, it was then up to the customer to make the return in a reasonable time frame. Since they have not done so and have not contacted you to keep the line of communication open, I would have to say that the deal is a done one and move on. If they contact you again about it, foward your return policy to them and at that point it is up to you if you want to deal with them or not. It seems like you have given them a reasonable amount of time to respond and they did not respond. Case closed.

My bet was that they were looking for some credit or for you to refund while they keep the pens. I'd say nothing. I had a customer who didnt like the blue shade of the pen requested, I suggested she send it back and i would replace it with another shade of blue...never heard from her again, I guess since i would have to charge her again for shipping.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally Posted by ed4copies
Mike,

Choose words carefully.

FWIW

Surmise actually means almost the same thing as assume, only the word is defined to mean more of a conjecture. It means that you are guessing or reaching a conclusion based on only a little evidence. What you are trying to say here is that your policy expires after a period of time. It doesn't matter why. Just say that you accept refunds up to 30 days, but not after. More than 30 days have passed, so the policy no longer applies. That's it.

Saying "we assume" or "we surmise," or whatever, only invites a challenged response.

Ed,

Apparently not everyone knows that punchline.

jkeithrussell

Originally Posted by ed4copies
Mike,

Choose words carefully.

FWIW

Ed,

Apparently not everyone knows that punchline.

I assume that by choosing words carefully one would surmise that the outcome would be a more complete comprehension of the intended message, with minimal opportunity for misunderstandings (or of avoiding the intended ramifications of the intended words). But that could just be conjecture, or perhaps another assumption (or guess). If my assumption makes an ass out me, then my surmise must surely come as a surprise because, although the meaning is the same, the humor is deficient.

1. Because you have kept the pen for 30 days, I assume that you have opted to keep it forever.
2. Because you have kept the pen for 30 days, I surmise that you have opted to keep it forever.
3. Because you have kept the pen for 30 days, I hope and pray that you have opted to keep it forever.
4. Because you have kept the pen for 30 days, I delight in imagining that you have opted to keep it forever.
5. Because you have kept the pen for 30 days, I'm no longer obligated to accept the return.

I'm just busting Ed's chops (which I know he enjoys), but only #5 is effective.

GouletPens

6. Because you have kept the pen for 30 days, I'm taking the money you gave me and buying more wood.
7. Because you have kept the pen for 30 days, I'm taking the money you gave me and buying some beer.
8. Because you have kept the pen for 30 days, I'm guessing you figured out my pens rock like no other.
9. Because you have kept the pen for 30 days, I'm letting you know I've officially changed my website to www.exoticblanks.com and you can send all complaints to me there. :wink::wink::wink:

Randy_

I don't see any down side to sending another email. It will only take a minute out of your day and hopefully you will get a response that will let you know the current status of the transaction. Never hurts to go the extra mile to satisfy a customer.

Who knows, they may have sent the pens and they may have been lost. Then you are looking at a really unhappy customer who is sitting at home waiting for a refund and contemplating a challenge/appeal or whatever you call it to their credit card company.

Sent the email and get it settled!!

altaciii

Why not send him an email followup to purchase more pens or get a referral. No one knows what happened on the other end. Maybe he took them to work and was complimented on his selection and now wears them proudly. He may have a prospect for you. You never know what will happen when he starts to show them off.

jleiwig

I think that you have done your part. You accepted the return no problem. It is the customers responsibility to return them to you. You cannot hold their hand or anything.

If someone actually had wanted to return them, I'm sure that you would have heard from them by now ranting and raving about not receiving a refund.

Top Bottom