A question for the panel....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdog

I know the pros and cons of big vs small lathes, namely that you can turn small stuff on a big lathe but not big stuff on a small lathe. My budget will allow something on the line of a Harbor Freight 34706 or a Jet mini. Of course, I'd like the bigger one for the capability to turn larger material. My only concern is the quality. I have heard some good reports on the HF lathe, never heard any bad ones on the Jet. My space will handle either one. But which one???????????? Any input is appreciated. -Gordon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Jet Mini.

The SIZE of a lathe sometimes is not related to the capacity for PRACTICAL work. The capacity might be 14" but try and put a log that size on the lathe, and you will have to go hunting for it all over the neighborhood (that lathe, not the log !!) My first lathe, a HF 14x40 will do well with spindles, pens, and other small stuff. The tailstock is difficult to line up with the spindle because it is a loose fit in the ways. Sure, it will turn baseball bats any time... Any takers for baseball bats?

In my opinion, even the Jet 12x36 is way too light.

I would say get a Jet Mini and when you can, ADD a larger lathe that is solidly built.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
When "good enough" is really good enough, I use Harbor Freight. I have a set of their punches that work great for disassembly. I have a set of their drill bits just so I always have the "odd" sized, occasional-use bit. When I need "top-shelf", I tend to go a bit more upscale. For that reason, I chose and recommend the Jet 1014VS. It works extremely well for pens and was more than adequate to turn a 9" bowl.

dubdrvrkev

My rationale was I could get a Jet mini for less that $200 (amazon special) with 10" capacity, really only about 7.5" over the tool rest, or to go the next step Jet 1236 more than double the money and only 2" more swing. Thinking I would outgrow the 1236 anyway I would rather spend a whole lot less and save the couple hundred more towards the PM or Oneway.
You can also spend the difference on all the other things you'll need to spin wood around (tools, sharpening equipment, mandrel, finishes, chuck, etc.)

mrcook4570

I have no experience with the HF, so I can't really say anything about it. However, I do own a Jet Mini and will say that it is worth every penny. Mine is not variable speed, but changing the belt on the pulleys takes less than 30 seconds. I've used it to turn clocks up to 9 1/2" diameter without any problems. And it is small enough that it travels with me (in a large suitcase on wheels).

You could always upgrade it with an extension bed if you wanted to turn longer spindles, although I haven't had a need for it yet.

Stan

rtparso

I have a Grizzly mini lathe. I am going to up grade to the Jet as soon as I sell some more pens (real soon). But I can say that I could not work without VS. When I am turning I just slow down the lathe put on the CA and reach down turn it up to burn it in. For sanding I can slow it way down and sand with the grain.

alamocdc

I had the low end HF lathe and could get a mandrel for it. Their high end lathe is VS, has cast iron ways and is well constructed. However, I dumped the HF and bought the 15" Craftsman, but that's about twicw the price of what you are looking for so it's just a matter of what you are willing to use for the time being. Many of these folks have several lathes so I would recommend starting with the Jet. I'll probably be getting a mini of some type myself in the future. JMHO.

Doghouse

I will put it this way. I own a 1642 Jet and a Jet Mini. I purchased the mini first, and still keep it for doing pen and stopper work. It does not have the power to do the big stuff, but is fantastic for smaller turnings! (I may even start to do the pulls for my boxes on the mini!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom