A project slightly larger than a pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

The bug was a restoration given to my wife from her dad back in '91. He did a complete body off frame up restoration. She drove it until '94 at which point it threw a rod and killed some valves and was put in a storage warehouse when she bought another car. There it has remained for the last 20 years until today.

I had to pretty much yank it out with my 4Runner since one wheel is completely seized up and wouldn't roll. Had to use a come-along do drag it up onto the trailer. Still not sure how I'm going to get it off on the other end but I'm hoping it's just the shoes rusted up against the drum. A few persuasion whacks with a 4lb sledge may free it up enough to roll off cleanly. Tires are pretty rotted but holding enough air to get it home.

So here it is, dragged out of storage and loaded up to pull back home to begin it's 3rd life. Ryan (13) and I will be restoring it again over the next few years and it will become his first car on his 16th.

1979 Super Beetle

Attachments

• BugLoaded-1.jpg
    BugLoaded-1.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 236
  • BugLoaded-2.jpg
    BugLoaded-2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 159
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

Pretty cool. I remember my dad having a VW. I would set on his lap and he would let me drive...or enough that i thought i was driving.

Harry

Cmiles1985

I recently sold my '72 Super Beetle for $2500. It was on CL a couple of days ago for $4800! Someday I may regret getting rid of it, but after 12 years I was pretty glad to see it go!

Good luck on the restoration!

Carl Fisher

We keep teasing him on the pink paint.

Once it's actually running again and the body work has been done, he'll get to pick the color he wants.

I'm not concerned with keeping OEM color pallet or anything like that. It was originally a teal color and repainted pink for my wife. Currently he's leaning towards a dark (midnight) blue or similar, but that may change between now and then.

Top Bottom