A productive day before Thanksgiving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jjjaworski

jjjaworski

I made use of my extra day off yesterday and worked on some Sierra Button Click pens and some Glacia Pens.

I wanted to use up some cut-offs I had from other projects.

These are not the best photos but close enough on a busy Thanksgiving Day.

Attachments

• DSCN8586.jpg
    DSCN8586.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 262
  • DSCN8587.jpg
    DSCN8587.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCN8588.jpg
    DSCN8588.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCN8589.jpg
    DSCN8589.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 196
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jjjaworski

Thanks for all the kind comments. Using simple production methods makes this kind of work go rather quickly. The difficult part is picking the plating to go with the blanks *G*

Some could go with more than one plating which is what I faced with the Glacia kits. I do like the look of that kit and how it really shows off a blank because of the longer length. They are so easy to turn being a single barrel and assembly is a breeze.

RKB

Wow, nice collection of pens. Curious about your production routine? I sell very few pens, however considering the cost of this addicting hobby it would interesting to know how to accomplish this type of turning if one needed too.
Thanks for showing us your work.
Rod

jjjaworski

Rod,

I just do things in batches and only one operaion at a time on all pieces.

I cut and drill everything at one time.Glue everything up at one time including painting any tubes or blanks as needed. Once evrything has dried and is trimmed I will rough out all the barrels using bushings between centers. I find this much faster then using a mandrel and I leave about .060 material to finish turn later.

I finish turn to size without the add of bushings between centers with sharp tools and caliper the ends for a fair fit with the hardware. I frequently hone my skews for better finish cuts. I have three skews at the ready at all times so I can keep going without honing or grinding just one tool.

Sanding and buffing works the same way doing all the barrels at one time.

I made a few boards with dowels sticking up that I use to place the barrels on as I progress through the process.

The prep work takes the most time getting blanks and tubes ready to turn. The rest goes pretty quick especially if you have lots of coffee made *G*

There are lots of ways to tweak a processs like this depending on what suits a person's work habits.

Sorry to be so long winded . It looks like it might be seam rippers today *g*

Top Bottom