A possessed blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

I had something happen that has never happened before:
I was doing a bright copper, perfect fit convertible pen with a desert ironwood, inlaid with turquoise true stone blank. CAed and MMed to 12000. When I went to assemble the thing I found a flaw in the end, I don't know how I missed it but there it was. I re-sanded, re-CAed and re-micro meshed. When I was finished I found another chip in the end. I started to repeat the entire process. When I was starting to apply the 1st coat of thin CA, the bottle must have had a plug of dried glue in the tip because it didn't come out right away and then it shot out all over the blank, mandrel and my lathe. I beat it apart, soaked the metal parts, cleaned the lathe (no easy task) and started over. This time being very careful not to miss any flaws or make any errors. I did get a good finish. I sanded the ends and went to buff out the blank, to smooth out the sanded ends. Just as I was finishing up, my drill press lurched forward and shot the blank across the garage, chipping both ends and cutting my knuckles. I have an old drill press that I use for buffing only and the bolts that hold it down had worked there way out and it had walked right off of the bench and into my arms. I fixed the drill press problem, re-sanded the bad blank and applied 3 coats of CA and went to bed. This morning I sanded and micro meshed, cleaned up the ends and buffed it out. It was finally OKish. I assembled the pen and when I went to put it in the pen stand, about an hour ago, it just slid right down the stand, over the edge of the table and onto the ceramic tiled floor putting a chip in the same upper blank. I just stood there staring into space and drooling. This is all true! I have been working on this one blank for almost a week! It just seems to weird to have happened. I have done a CA finish every other day for months with never a chip... then this! This was the pen from hell!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

You may have evil spirits, put some garlic over the door. It works wonders on lots of stuff but oddly it doesn't keep the wife from coming out in the shop![:0]

Fred

Are you experiencing any "weird" sounds coming from the shop when you are just outside the door? Do you ever see strange greenish, glowing lights in the shop? How about any type of apparitions that just seem to appear out of no where?

If you do then I highly recommend you quit eating all that mexican food and drinking beer prior to going to your shop. What you have is 'swamp gas' of the worse kind.

Now, if you ever feel the hair on your neck crawling, then put down the scary sharp tools, turn off the lathe, and leave the area immediately. I would then consider calling the local exorcist immediately.

I have also found that leaving an open beer and a piece of pizza on the shop table to be a good "offering" to try and please these thingies. I think I have one living in each piece of shop equipment and some days it just ain't safe to go to the shop at all.

Weird I know, but sooner or later we all experience a case of the goblin's in our shops. [}:)]

Rifleman1776

That's why I have two avocations. Woodworking and writing. When things like that start happening the shop, I'll stop and go to the keyboard and make words. When I think the gremlins have left, I'll go back to the shop. Know that you are not alone, we all have had similar experiences.

cdcarter

I feel your pain! Now and then you just get one that won't act right.

If it weren't a new moon I'd blame it on the moon phase ... Had a beautiful piece of redheart on the lathe last night, still rounding, taking what I thought were pretty think cuts, when it grabbed the gouge and split clean off. Suddenly I'm looking at a spinning piece of copper. Nothing to do but turn off the light and call it a night. It's still on the lathe. Today, a guy requested the precise pen I was making (Redheart Churchill fountain). Maybe I'll have it tomorrow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom