a penmaker's journey: why I learned from my first 10 pens (part 1)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioso

Hi all!
first of all, this is a great site! there is so much to learn from you members and so much I'm looking forward to match up to.
about 2 years ago I was perusing around a craft show here next to Montreal, and stumbled upon a penturner's booth. I fell in love with a pen that I purchased and gifted to my dad, who actually uses it more often that any of his expensive mont blanc and visconti's from his extensive collection.
After letting this "crazy" idea of making my own pens brewing in my mind for a few years, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a lathe. So I purchased an excelsior lathe from rockler (199$ on sale with bed extension) and here I am!
I've done so far 12 pens, and I decided to post them in order of completion, along with what I discovered along the way.

Why? not so much to show off my "skills" (after all this is not the "show off your pens" forum) but rather to perhaps help other new turners in the future, and also because I was wondering if other members might have gone through the same mistakes as I did.

so here we go!

BTW, I also have a photo studio in my house, and it was already set up for some other objects, so these pics were taken on the fly.

This is a stabilized maple burl on a gold european fron lee valley.
My thoughs and discoveries:

1. It took me 3 pens to realize that my cheap lathe was wobbling off center! I eventually -after lots of testing and trying- realized that the taper was not parallel to the shaft, and had a friend redo the taper ( I should have probably just return or exchange the machine, but I wanted to turn pens that night!). but until I fixed it, all my pens were a bit off.

2. hut wax is quick and looks great, but it darkens the wood considerably, and it doesn't leave a "plastic" look. and stabilized wood's sheen isn't that pretty: it doesn't look like wood, it just looks like it's rough and unfinished.

3.it's not a good idea to handhold the blank when trimming the edges!

I'll get back soon with my second pen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotian12

Welcome to the site. Its a great place to learn new ideas, turning techniques. The next time you are over at Lee Valley pick up some turners polish or ask about the Shellawax finishes. I think you will find they will give a more durable finish than Hut wax. Eventually you may wish to try the ca finish. They all have their pros and cons but try them and see what works for you. Look forward to seeing more of your pens. Darrell Eisner

Jon-wx5nco

That is a nice looking pen! I wish I had taken pics of all the pens I have made. That is something that I will start doing, along with making notes about each pen.

Thanks for the idea!

Gary Zakian

Thanks for the start of this series. I benefited immediately from your first picture and set of comments.

I am also new to turning pens and made two Europeans as my first effort. The turning went well but the pen hardware sets I purchased from Rockler had horrible instructions. The bushing set I got had three bushings, and I turned to the bushings. However, there was no mention of needing to turn a tenon on the bottom portion of the upper part. I looked up the European pen hardware at the Lee Valley site you referenced and what should I see but a set of bushings that includes a stepped bushing, which would have solved my problems, and a set of very clear instructions on how to set up the blanks and bushings on the mandrel. I will be ordering a set in the very near future.

Thank you, and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

studioso

thank you for all the welcomes!
I'm not sure why some people can't see the pictures. I'll try to change host soon.

Gary, I have found that kits from different suppliers are not always the same, both in dimensions and assembly. so if you are using instructions, bushings and kits that are not from the same manufacturer, it might be worthwhile double checking with a micrometer or caliper...

about the CA finish: yesw, that's coming up soon!

Thanks again,
Alex

Daniel

Very Nice and yes I learned all the stuff you listed and then a few more. but some of them took a lot longer than 3 pens for me to figure out. the off center thing probably plagued me for several months. mine was sort of an off and on thing and just drove me nuts. Took me 20 pens to figure out Crystal coat was not going to give me the finish I wanted. and I still am convinced I will get the hand holding thing down. Not really, I know of a penturner that broke a finger that way. By the way it is also not a good idea to change blanks in the vise with the drill press still running either, brad point bits will cut you even with the press turned off, and the chance a blanks will blow out somewhere in the process of being made into a pen is in direct proportion to how expensive it is.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Great insights! And quite familiar. My new "inexpensive" lathe wasn't right either. But I started off the first week simply turning pieces of dowels. I knew there was a problem when the piece wobbled so.

As for your picture, all I see is that nice little red "x" in the box.

Top Bottom