A Pen kit's plating

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toyotaman

I was wondering what is a good lasting(durable) plating on a pen kit? I've had a few friends that I made slims for and the gold plating is rubbing off after using it for a while. I'm talking about everyday use in an office. Would more expensive kits do the same? Pens are nice and fun to make but I don't want to meet up with someone 4 or5 months later and them saying "This pen is turning colors and it looks like the plating is coming off". I've bought kits from PennState and CSUSA but they will both fade over time. I quit buying gold kits for this reason. Will other kits do this? I am now buying some of the "Apprentice Classica kits" (Gatsby)or (Wall Street II) kits from CSUSA. They are nice looking kits and I hope they don't do the same.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

For gold pens, I get only Titanium nitride coated pens. They last much longer and as in most cases, cheaper doesn't last as long.

For Silver, the Rhodium/Platinum coatings last.

Of course some styles don't come in all platings, but I always leave a note that I prefer the TiNi for it's durability.

glycerine

The 24k will definitely wear off. If you still want the gold look, go with the gold titanium, or 10k gold. I think the copper ones are probably the second "worst" about wearing off. If you look in CSUSA's or PSI's catalogs, one of them has info on the platings and their wear resistance...

terryf

Cheaper kits/cheaper platings but they're great to learn with. I wouldnt sell them however, as you're sure to get comebacks.

Do a search on here for platings - theres tons of info.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Durability in platings

I was wondering what is a good lasting(durable) plating on a pen kit? I've had a few friends that I made slims for and the gold plating is rubbing off after using it for a while. I'm talking about everyday use in an office. Would more expensive kits do the same? Pens are nice and fun to make but I don't want to meet up with someone 4 or5 months later and them saying "This pen is turning colors and it looks like the plating is coming off". I've bought kits from PennState and CSUSA but they will both fade over time. I quit buying gold kits for this reason. Will other kits do this? I am now buying some of the "Apprentice Classica kits" (Gatsby)or (Wall Street II) kits from CSUSA. They are nice looking kits and I hope they don't do the same.
1. Black TN and Gold TN are the longest lasting about equal to each other.

2. Rhodium, Chrome and Black Chrome are next being about equal to each other

3. Most of the other kits copper/gun metal etc.

4. 24Kt gold, Silver, satin gold, satin silver, platinum (really white gold)

Some finishes like 10 K gold and Cobalt gold and 22Kt gold - I don't have a feel for.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
one point

For gold pens, I get only Titanium nitride coated pens. They last much longer and as in most cases, cheaper doesn't last as long.

For Silver, the Rhodium/Platinum coatings last.

Of course some styles don't come in all platings, but I always leave a note that I prefer the TiNi for it's durability.
I'd be careful about including platinum with Rhodium....first because Rhodium is much more durable than platinum and 2nd because platinum is often not platinum at all. It is 14Kt white gold made with palladium and copper - palladium is a platinum group metal like rhodium but brighter and softer.

randyrls

I'd be careful about including platinum with Rhodium....first because Rhodium is much more durable than platinum and 2nd because platinum is often not platinum at all. It is 14Kt white gold made with palladium and copper - palladium is a platinum group metal like rhodium but brighter and softer.

You are correct. I included them together because sometimes they are not correctly named and you may be getting one instead of the other without realizing it. The names may be changed to enhance the marketability by Marketing (lies).

Merry Christmas!!!!

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
How well I know

You are correct. I included them together because sometimes they are not correctly named and you may be getting one instead of the other without realizing it. The names may be changed to enhance the marketability by Marketing (lies).

Merry Christmas!!!!

Yes, I bought Platinum (I thought) and found out it was white gold. Even "Rhodium" is suspect because it is so thinly applied. But, many of us are now well aware of that.

Top Bottom