A pen for me?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MarkY

MarkY

I decided to make myself a pen for xmas out of alligator juniper burl. It came out nice, now let's see if I can keep it. (so far my wife has hinted that she'd like on 'just like it' so I better make her one before this one disappears).
Vn6MQ9p6RkiiRVI-E_L62YyrNnlJe0__q3lEmrkI9MB2=w1278-h681-no

DSC08332.JPG

DSC08322.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkY

The best thing about the wood is that I picked it up in the forest around my house. When I moved to NM from New Zealand I thought I'd have to buy wood to turn, or turn pine, fir and some more pine.
These old Juniper burls are lying around everywhere :)

cacardon

Beautiful pen. Great grand as well as finish. Also I feel your pain with the wife "finding" all my pens. She doesn't steal them, she "finds them" lol good luck with that.

Cavediver

The best thing about the wood is that I picked it up in the forest around my house. When I moved to NM from New Zealand I thought I'd have to buy wood to turn, or turn pine, fir and some more pine.
These old Juniper burls are lying around everywhere :)

That's got some beautiful grain! Well done!
Do you have to stabilize those burls?

MarkY

Do you have to stabilize those burls?

When I find them they are almost always very old after sitting in the forest for 10-15 years so they're very dry and unrotted in the center. I leave them in the shed for a while (mostly because they're "too valuable to use") to acclimatize then cut them up. I don't get a lot of perfect blanks out of each one but I just turn them down and stabilize any cracks separately with CA.

Top Bottom