A Manly tool for a Manly Man :-)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jskeen

jskeen

I've got to put together a shelving system for what's left of my garage to store all the boxes and tubs of "stuff" that seems to have accumulated out there since we enclosed the front 3/4 to make a den/tv room. Figured we needed the space, and it's not like the car had seen the inside of the garage in a while anyway. But my shop is not big enough to cut up a 4x8 sheet of plywood on the tablesaw, so I needed something to work on. I've had several sets of sawhorses over the years, and all worked, but could be improved. I decided to do some research and poked around the 'net for ideas. Got the design for he bigger one from one of my favorite publications, The Mother Earth News. The smaller was simple enough to put together to match. The long slot is to support a 2x4 while you crosscut through the transverse one. I made a matching transverse slot in the smaller horse so that i could connect the two with a 2x4 to support the center of a 4x8 sheet of whatever.

As for the materials, well, the 2x4 studs were salvaged, and had been stored outside till the original scarlet dye had faded to a really vivid pink for the most part. But Hey, they were free, and I'm not turning down free supplies just because of the color.

And I discovered yet again that it's often easier to make a few odd angle cuts or clean out a mortise with hand tools than setting up a power tool. I'm lucky to have inherited my Great GrandDads toolchest and collection of hand tools. So I take every chance to put them to use. Like to think he's up there smiling about it.

Attachments

• PICT0003.jpg
    PICT0003.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 295
  • PICT0002.jpg
    PICT0002.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 204
  • PICT0001.jpg
    PICT0001.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 281
Top Bottom