A little help with Baron assembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allenworsham

I made my first Baron today and it turned out good. I had only one minor problem that irritated me a bit and that was lining up the grain when the cap is screwed on as it was off by a degree or two. I figured on assembling the cap, screwing in the nib threads to the cap and then lining up the grain and pressing it on the bottom blank so that it would all be in line. Well, when I did that, I still ended up being off.

So are there any tricks for doing this?

Thanks.

20084342052_Baron%203.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BrentK

I am not sure if my way is correct. But all I did was try and start the cap in different positions. The only problem with this is every time you take the cap off you have to try and realign it.

ldb2000

These pens use a triple start thread so there are 3 different sets of threads so the cap will have to be aligned everytime you take it off but you get used to it fast

rherrell

Screw the cap hardware on the nib first WITHOUT the blank. Eyeball the blank in the right position and slide it on the hardware using only hand pressure. Unscrew the assembly and finish driving it home with your press. That's how I do it anyway.;)

allenworsham

Originally posted by rherrell

Screw the cap hardware on the nib first WITHOUT the blank. Eyeball the blank in the right position and slide it on the hardware using only hand pressure. Unscrew the assembly and finish driving it home with your press. That's how I do it anyway.;)

That's what I did, so I guess that I was the problem in that I thought I was lined up and I wasn't. Must of been the saw dust on my glasses.[:I]

randyrls

Originally posted by allenworsham

I made my first Baron today and it turned out good. I had only one minor problem that irritated me a bit and that was lining up the grain when the cap is screwed on as it was off by a degree or two. I figured on assembling the cap, screwing in the nib threads to the cap and then lining up the grain and pressing it on the bottom blank so that it would all be in line. Well, when I did that, I still ended up being off.

So are there any tricks for doing this?

Thanks.

Allen; I had the same problem. I actually wrote new instructions to add to the standard PDF file. I used the same names as the original instructions. See below. The trick is to install the fitting of the lower tube where it meets the centerband, then screw the centerband coupler to the lower tube. Now press the upper tube onto the centerband with the grain matched.

3. Assembly:
This part is important if you wish to "grain match" the pen:

a. Press a COUPLER & TRIM RING into the end of the LONG BLANK where it will meet the CENTER BAND.

b. Slide the black CENTER BAND COUPLER into the plated CENTER BAND and install the BLACK TRIM RING and the PLATED TRIM RING on to the CENTER BAND assembly. Now screw the CENTER BAND and BLACK TRIM RING to the (lower blank) COUPLER & TRIM RING.

c. Grain match the pen blank ends and press the CENTER BAND and BLACK TRIM RING into the CAP (short upper pen blank).

d. Slide the CLIP onto the CAP and install into the appropriate end of the short (upper) pen blank.

e. Press the END CAP COUPLER into the END CAP.

f. Install the SPRING into the END CAP ASSEMBLY (to keep the spring in place use a needle nose pliers to expand the wide end of the spring and push it into the END CAP with the narrow end out).

g. Screw the END CAP ASSEMBLY onto the appropriate end of the long pen blank

Hope this helps....

allenworsham

Randy,

After thinking about it, I came to the same conclusion to put together the body blank and then line up the grain and press it inot the cap blank.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Top Bottom