A little flat work......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from papaturner

papaturner

for charity. My neighbor passed a month or so ago,he was retired Coast Guard and a good friend and neighbor. Maded his daughter a box for the flag used on his coffin. The angles at the bottom takes a little grunting but outside that it`s pretty straight forward. Used red oak.

Attachments

• fb1.JPG
    fb1.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 161
  • fb2.JPG
    fb2.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 163
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
S

spiritwoodturner

Perry, very nice gesture and awfully close to my heart. If you're a Coastie (Dave said "fellow Coastie") you're one of my deep and abiding heroes! Here's a link to a story I wrote a few years ago, detailing what I owe the United States Coast Guard... http://www.wingsoflight.org/pdf/Wings Fall 2003.pdf.

Your neighbor (and I'm presuming you and/or Dave too) spent some of his life risking his life for no other reason than to save others directly. It's one-on-one with Coasties, no matter the weather (ours was deadly), time of day or night, or any risks.

Hope I didn't hijack your thread, Perry, when one owes so much (like everything) it's hard not to say something nice about Coasties! Your work is lovely and she'll remember her Hero in a special way, thanks to you. Wish I could do something more for my Coasties!

Thanks for sharing that,
Dale

P.S. The guy standing at the bow of the CG boat is Steve Bowman, who I am still in frequent contact with, and has even come to spend some time with my family. He got to get to know my kids, who without his efforts would not exist. How does one thank someone adequately for that? Please feel free to share my story with your friend's daughter. It will remind her what a Hero her Dad was.

Last edited by a moderator:

papaturner

very nice work. I need to make one for my father's flag, just searching for the 'right' wood.

Mark, Which ever wood you decide to use be sure and line it with acid free mat board. I understand that the acid from any wood will harm the flag over time. I also used conservation glass.
Thanks for your response and hope this is a little help.

papaturner

Perry, very nice gesture and awfully close to my heart. If you're a Coastie (Dave said "fellow Coastie") you're one of my deep and abiding heroes! Here's a link to a story I wrote a few years ago, detailing what I owe the United States Coast Guard... http://www.wingsoflight.org/pdf/Wings Fall 2003.pdf.

Your neighbor (and I'm presuming you and/or Dave too) spent some of his life risking his life for no other reason than to save others directly. It's one-on-one with Coasties, no matter the weather (ours was deadly), time of day or night, or any risks.

Hope I didn't hijack your thread, Perry, when one owes so much (like everything) it's hard not to say something nice about Coasties! Your work is lovely and she'll remember her Hero in a special way, thanks to you. Wish I could do something more for my Coasties!

Thanks for sharing that,
Dale

P.S. The guy standing at the bow of the CG boat is Steve Bowman, who I am still in frequent contact with, and has even come to spend some time with my family. He got to get to know my kids, who without his efforts would not exist. How does one thank someone adequately for that? Please feel free to share my story with your friend's daughter. It will remind her what a Hero her Dad was.

Dale, Nice article but I`m not a Coastie did my time in the Army.
Thanks for your response.

S

spiritwoodturner

Dale, Nice article but I`m not a Coastie did my time in the Army.
Thanks for your response.

Sorry Perry, I saw Dave's reference to "fellow Coastie" and I mistakenly thought it was you. Must've been Dave. So Dave, thanks for being a Coastie! I was in the Army too, hope no one was offended that I singled out Coastie's. I just kinda have a soft spot for 'em.

Perry, did your friend serve in WW2? Many don't know those guys drove the landing crafts into the beach at Normandy, which must have been...incredibly heroic.

Dale

P.S. Forgive me if you already mentioned this, but are you putting the US Flag in there, or the Coast Guard Flag?

papaturner

Sorry Perry, I saw Dave's reference to "fellow Coastie" and I mistakenly thought it was you. Must've been Dave. So Dave, thanks for being a Coastie! I was in the Army too, hope no one was offended that I singled out Coastie's. I just kinda have a soft spot for 'em.

Perry, did your friend serve in WW2? Many don't know those guys drove the landing crafts into the beach at Normandy, which must have been...incredibly heroic.

Dale

P.S. Forgive me if you already mentioned this, but are you putting the US Flag in there, or the Coast Guard Flag?

Not a problem Dale. My neighbor did serve in WW2 but it was in the Navy then transfered into the Coast Guard. The U.S. Flag was used on his coffin so that was what the family wanted in the Flag box.

Top Bottom