A kitless peace offering

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Since I spent the money for the metal lathe. I thought I'd smooth things over with Susanne, by making her a pen for her purse. She likes the Blue Lucite from IPD. I used that blank. The nib was drilled and, tapped with the M8 x .75 The cap is M12 x .8 triple start I got from Mike Redburn. This Lucite polishes up real nicely. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0927.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_0930.JPG
    IMG_0930.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_0931.JPG
    IMG_0931.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 321
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

The pen looks great! You did a really good job designing the nib for that pen too. You guys that turn nibs etc I think have some serious talent. I would be afraid to even attempt it even if I had a metal lathe. I bet she loves it.

IPD_Mr

Chuck your nose cones keep getting better and better. I think Suzanne might even bring you a glass of tea to the shop.

cnirenberg

Since I spent the money for the metal lathe. I thought I'd smooth things over with Susanne, by making her a pen for her purse.....

Chuck,
That's a great looking pen, but do you really think that will work? I'm thinking Red Lobster or Outback. Yeah definitely a good start.......

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
The pen looks great! You did a really good job designing the nib for that pen too. You guys that turn nibs etc I think have some serious talent. I would be afraid to even attempt it even if I had a metal lathe. I bet she loves it.
Thanks friends! Todd, I made my first nib on a wood lathe with a skew. No special talent is needed (I'm living proof) Thanks for the compliment.
Chuck your nose cones keep getting better and better. I think Suzanne might even bring you a glass of tea to the shop.
Thanks Mr. There's a fresh pitcher in the brewer now. I seem to be forgiven!:biggrin:
I agree with all on the design, but is it just me or is the refill sticking out just a tad to far.?
Thank you Roy. I made this one shorter than a previous pen but, not short enough. After looking at some Cigars I have, I found that you are correct. Here is a photo at the bottom of this post. I can fix this one but, will make an appropriate adjustment. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Since I spent the money for the metal lathe. I thought I'd smooth things over with Susanne, by making her a pen for her purse.....

Chuck,
That's a great looking pen, but do you really think that will work? I'm thinking Red Lobster or Outback. Yeah definitely a good start.......
Cris, we go to both those places anyway. It had to be something special.:biggrin:
Very nice indeed. If you were/are in the dog house, I think this will get you out :O)
Thanks, but, she's not into those type of pens. I think I did good with this one.

Attachments

• IMG_0932.JPG
    IMG_0932.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 180

ghostrider

I opened the thread and thought, "Wow.......". Then I had to pick my jaw back up. Love the Lucite.
I agree with all on the design, but is it just me or is the refill sticking out just a tad to far.?
My newb opinion, and that only. I was so awestruck by the pics and visual impression that I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, so I went back and looked. What I'm seeing is the same, only it looks to me like the nib just has a thicker wall thickness than most of the kit pens I've done. Compare to the Cigars he photographed it with and it looks like if he just followed the natural arc of the nib profile to slope down to the same wall thickness as the Cigars he photo'd it with, and it would be about the same.

Hope that makes sense.

D.Oliver

That pen is great! After making that for you're better half, I bet you have free rein to buy any shop equipment needed from now on.

bitshird

Nice work Chuck. dealing with the length of the refill, is that done in the nib its self, or in the overall length of the pen, it seems to me the depth of the writing nib would be determined by how far the hole was drilled into the nib section, or am I trying to complicate things, Cause I was getting ready to try a kitless my self.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I opened the thread and thought, "Wow.......". Then I had to pick my jaw back up. Love the Lucite.Thank you!
My newb opinion, and that only. I was so awestruck by the pics and visual impression that I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, so I went back and looked. What I'm seeing is the same, only it looks to me like the nib just has a thicker wall thickness than most of the kit pens I've done. Compare to the Cigars he photographed it with and it looks like if he just followed the natural arc of the nib profile to slope down to the same wall thickness as the Cigars he photo'd it with, and it would be about the same.

Hope that makes sense.
You would be right if that was the shape I wanted. Thanks for the comments.

Chuck, are you available for metal lathe demo's? I will buy lunch.
Just for you Ron! Swing by and, pick me up.:biggrin:
That pen is great! After making that for you're better half, I bet you have free rein to buy any shop equipment needed from now on.
Thanks! I only wish it could be that simple.

I think she won't like it, so just send it to me, I'll take it off your hands. Very nice
Thanks but, don't hold your breath! :biggrin:
Nice work Chuck. dealing with the length of the refill, is that done in the nib its self, or in the overall length of the pen, it seems to me the depth of the writing nib would be determined by how far the hole was drilled into the nib section, or am I trying to complicate things, Cause I was getting ready to try a kitless my self.
Thanks Ken. I will have to drill my step in the nib a little shallower, then compensate in the body by drilling that a little deeper. Let me know if that's not clear to you.

el_d

WOW!!!!!

Awesome work my friend. You make me want to get a metal lathe and some of your skills too Chuck.

I CALL CHUCK AS MY NEXT PITH PARTNER....

Has to happen now, I called it.....

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Sigh... Chuck you have a metal lathe. ......Make a spacer that will push the refill back farther. If you have to,put tape around the pen body to redrill it the same amount of depth as the spacer.(Keeps it from marring the finish.) Your lathe is perfectly capable of making that small of spacer and more.

Oh yeah, Nice pen your really getting the hang of it.

workinforwood

to me the refill does not stick out too far. I would not normally have it project that much, but the tip of your nib is kinda thick and blunt more than necessary, so having the refill stick out a bit more helps the pen be held at a greater angle. I'm following from the angle of the ink tip and the nib tip thickness to make my judgmental opinion. To each their own no doubt. I should probably make my wife a new pen, since I did some re-decorating in the house and could end up in the dog house for it when she gets home.:laugh:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
WOW!!!!!

Awesome work my friend. You make me want to get a metal lathe and some of your skills too Chuck.

I CALL CHUCK AS MY NEXT PITH PARTNER....

Has to happen now, I called it.....
Thanks Lupe! Will swap with you any day. :biggrin:

Sigh... Chuck you have a metal lathe. ......Make a spacer that will push the refill back farther. If you have to,put tape around the pen body to redrill it the same amount of depth as the spacer.(Keeps it from marring the finish.) Your lathe is perfectly capable of making that small of spacer and more.

Oh yeah, Nice pen your really getting the hang of it.
Thanks Mike. She says, she likes it the way it is. :biggrin: But, yes that's what I was going to do.
to me the refill does not stick out too far. I would not normally have it project that much, but the tip of your nib is kinda thick and blunt more than necessary, so having the refill stick out a bit more helps the pen be held at a greater angle. I'm following from the angle of the ink tip and the nib tip thickness to make my judgmental opinion. To each their own no doubt. I should probably make my wife a new pen, since I did some re-decorating in the house and could end up in the dog house for it when she gets home.:laugh:
Thank you Jeff. Yeh, this pen is done as far as I'm concerned. The nib will be different on the next one anyway. Go ahead and, make her a new pen. The little things make a big difference.:biggrin:

ghostrider

I opened the thread and thought, "Wow.......". Then I had to pick my jaw back up. Love the Lucite.Thank you!

Hope that makes sense.
I thought it was intentional. That was just my attempt at illustrating what I saw, and I do like that different look. It does make me curious if there will be enough clearance for some writing styles when you bring the nib in more.

Again, I'm still a newb, so this is still learning for me.

thewishman

I like the length. I push the transmissions in 7mm pens in deep enough to extend the refill that far. If a customer wants it to extend less, I show them how to unscrew the refill to adjust the length to their preference.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

Hope that makes sense.
I thought it was intentional. That was just my attempt at illustrating what I saw, and I do like that different look. It does make me curious if there will be enough clearance for some writing styles when you bring the nib in more.

Again, I'm still a newb, so this is still learning for me.
Yeh, there would be close clearance.

I like the length. I push the transmissions in 7mm pens in deep enough to extend the refill that far. If a customer wants it to extend less, I show them how to unscrew the refill to adjust the length to their preference.
I think it would look better, or cleaner if the refill lined up like the ones in the cigars do. I'll probably be making them this way in the future.
Chuck, my wife's a little pi$$*d you bought that metal lathe, too!

just sayin" ... :):biggrin::rolleyes:
What exactly ARE you sayin' :biggrin: YOU'RE gonna make her a pen for me?:biggrin:

One very nice looking pen.
Thank you sir!

bluwolf

They just keep getting better and better. Really nice job Chuck. You should get her name engraved on it.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Mike. That is one detail I forgot about. I'll check into that after my daughter and, grand daughters go back to Indy.

Top Bottom